General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sad... Wreck story

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:19 PM
Bill Day
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Sad... Wreck story

So we took out Sat Aug 16th riding with a friend an his wife, went out for dinner and caught a band.

On our way home were doing some late night curves on 41S out of Rockville, IN. Not rolling hard just riding.

So we hit some "S" curves and we're making a right hander with him leading when we spot a deer a little throttle twist and a little more lean, we miss the deer only to have a little to much speed for the immediate lean and left curve.

So I've got the bike on it's left and I'm loosing my line fast with the floorboard mount scrapping, cant get anymore out of it we slide off into ditch(fortunately no guard rail), bike flips us off and flips past us, while we land on a bunch of "head" sized rocks.

Buddy and his wife turn around and come back while I'm crawling to check on my wife. We're functional and my right shoulder is "clicking". They check on us and we're on our feet etc.

Buddy get's my bike up and locates parts etc and adjusts handlebars and controls, looks to only be cosmetic.. So we're trying to call in police report for ins and no cell signal(Verizon). Started bike, it ran and buddy test rode it, so we finally decide screw it we're going on to his place. I rode the bike about 20 miles to his house. Sat down and relaxed, the longer I sat the more my shoulder hurt after adrenaline wore off. So we make a ER trip, me broken collar bone and wife some right side bruising of her ribs, no fractures.

By this time its about 3 a.m and we decide to just go home(our wifes had brought car to their place. So I tried to passenger and couldnt do the seat belt so I ended up driving home.

Called ins(Progressive) Sun morning and they came to house Mon(after buddy brought bike home for us on Sun) and did their initial estimate, a little over $4 grand with tank being $1950~.

So I wanted Legacy in Effingham, IL to do the work and called them Tues(closed Sun/Mon) and they came down and picked bike up Wed.

They said call today and check in with them over their tear down and inspection.
New quote from them over $9 grand, frame damage..

Most likely insurance is going to total my bike, waiting for the ins adjuster to talk to them but it looks like it's time to start bike shopping again...

Old 08-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad that you and your wife are mostly ok.

Deer are the hazard that give me the most concern on the road, bar none.

Totally unpredictable, sometimes suicidal, big enough to wreck you, and they often travel in groups.

At least texting cagers can be counted on to generally stay on the road, at a relatively predictable direction and speed....

All the best,

Shane

Old 08-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow. Your here. Wife's ok. The Bike will be replaced. Well done. Perfectly explained by you and a classic "oh ****" moment that we all get at some point by being too hot in a sweeper or turn. This one however "got ya". They can get any of us we need to remember that. Once your committed in a turn at high speed we better pray we have the radius we need to complete the sweep.

Glad your ok and thanks for taking the time to take us thru it.
Get well soon.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:24 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Wife had some bruising and no fractures. That's a happy wreck story. You can replace the bike.