General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do about a dealer service issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:44 PM
markp1965
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do about a dealer service issue

I recently took my bike to Skagit Harley in Washington state to have a new front tire put on my 2010 cvo streetglide , and then rode home about 80 miles away and everything seemed fine , parked the bike in my garage for about a week and a half and then went on a roadtrip 40 miles into my trip I started hearing weird noises very loud like little rocks were hitting me . I finally got concerned because it happened so many times and pulled over to a gas station where we quickly realized that all the balancing weights had all come peeling off, either the wheel wasn't cleaned properly or not enough pressure to stick them on , imagine those little suckers flying off at 70 mph one hit and stuck to the pants of my buddy riding behind me , luckily there was a harely shop close by I took it in and they rebalanced the wheel , when I got back from the roadtrip I phoned Skagit explained what had happened and that I wanted them to pay for the rebalancing which they said they would do and I was O K with that but just last night I did my first detail of the bike since returning and found a pretty sharp dent on the back of the front fender from the inside out and it has actually broken the paint so I am sure it will be getting moisture in there and will create a problem down the road so I called the service dept back explained what I found and the service leader laughed at me and said you cant prove anything and why didn't you tell me this the first time , I got pretty serious in a hurry I said do you think this is funny cause I sure don't and explained that until you do a good detail you wouldn't have noticed it , anyway I think they are not going to do the right thing and fix the problem which in my opinion would be a new fender , am I asking too much for them to step up I mean it was their fault and I'm pretty sure if the fender comes off you'll be able to tell what did it , I would appreciate thoughts on this matter

Old 08-26-2014, 06:49 PM
scasey
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GL with that one

Old 08-26-2014, 06:49 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Talk to the service manager and give him the chance to correct the issue, if you are not satisfied, speak to the general manager, if still a problem discuss with the owner of the dealership. This should be done in a calm and fair manor.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:54 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by scasey
GL with that one
+1

Dude,

I'll be the devil's advocate here.

It sucks, but you're between a rock and a hard place. If you can't prove, other than your word, that the dent in the fender wasn't there beforehand, be glad they are even willing to cover the cost of the rebalancing.

What if one of the wheel weights dented your friend's fender? Would you try and get the dealership to cover that too? Furthermore, if you think they will replace a whole fender because of minor paint damage, think again. You might as well go the whole hog (no pun intended) and ask for a new front end. How are you sure that removing the fender will identify what caused it? Is one of the wheel weights buried in the dent on the inside of the fender?

IMO, the fender repair is on you. You can talk to the service manager, general manager and dealership owner but I wouldn't go in expecting joy. Sorry.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:34 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first of all if they knew what they were doing you would not need weights.
just had a new Michelin commander 2 installed on my heritage by a local indy and don't have any weights on the wheel and its smooth as silk.
the last tire I had installed the dealer installed a new Dunlop and the had a bunch of weight on the wheel.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 PM
BC72067
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fireman9513
first of all if they knew what they were doing you would not need weights.
just had a new Michelin commander 2 installed on my heritage by a local indy and don't have any weights on the wheel and its smooth as silk.
the last tire I had installed the dealer installed a new Dunlop and the had a bunch of weight on the wheel.
Not True. I put a Commander 2 on the front of my bike and guess what it needed weight to balance it. Same with the Dunlop Elite on the back. You have to take the into consideration that the tire and rim are both separate components that effect the balance.

Last edited by BC72067; 08-26-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad timing for you. Skagit harley just sold to a new owner. Papers all signed sealed and delivered as of the 20th of this month. Will the new owner stand behinds the previous owner, time will tell. Wish all the good luck to you tho. Skagit Harley is now called North Cascade Harley.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:42 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

a wheel weight wouldn't be able to get all the way around the wheel AND tire and 1/2 way back around to the face of the tire to hit the fender that hard.. In my opinion of course. Having spent several years working in a dealership, have seen many attempts at folks trying to get tins replaced. ESPECIALLY CVO's.

Nothing personal but

Mark

Old 08-26-2014, 10:03 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,206 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Longest sentence of the year ?

Old 08-26-2014, 10:18 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by markp1965
I recently took my bike to Skagit Harley in Washington state to have a new front tire put on my 2010 cvo streetglide , and then rode home about 80 miles away and everything seemed fine , parked the bike in my garage for about a week and a half and then went on a roadtrip 40 miles into my trip I started hearing weird noises very loud like little rocks were hitting me . I finally got concerned because it happened so many times and pulled over to a gas station where we quickly realized that all the balancing weights had all come peeling off, either the wheel wasn't cleaned properly or not enough pressure to stick them on , imagine those little suckers flying off at 70 mph one hit and stuck to the pants of my buddy riding behind me , luckily there was a harely shop close by I took it in and they rebalanced the wheel , when I got back from the roadtrip I phoned Skagit explained what had happened and that I wanted them to pay for the rebalancing which they said they would do and I was O K with that but just last night I did my first detail of the bike since returning and found a pretty sharp dent on the back of the front fender from the inside out and it has actually broken the paint so I am sure it will be getting moisture in there and will create a problem down the road so I called the service dept back explained what I found and the service leader laughed at me and said you cant prove anything and why didn't you tell me this the first time , I got pretty serious in a hurry I said do you think this is funny cause I sure don't and explained that until you do a good detail you wouldn't have noticed it , anyway I think they are not going to do the right thing and fix the problem which in my opinion would be a new fender , am I asking too much for them to step up I mean it was their fault and I'm pretty sure if the fender comes off you'll be able to tell what did it , I would appreciate thoughts on this matter
No offense but can you prove it came from them and not something that happened on your trip?

Quick Reply: what to do about a dealer service issue