General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis safety question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:51 PM
xracer110
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sturgis safety question

I plan on going to sturgis for the 1st time real soon. My question is about roadway safety with the unlimited alcohol that's there. I'm not worried about theft or getting beat up etc, but riding towards or next to someone that's been drinking all day scares the hell out of me! Most people on here openly avoid large groups when they ride at home for fear of stupid acts or drunks! But sturgis is the largest group ride in the world. So how safe or un safe are the roads????????

Old 08-26-2014, 06:57 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

about like any city after dark ...lot of peoples drink and drive everywhere

Old 08-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts

I went in 2011. I saw a few rider who were obviously drunk and shouldn't be on a bike. Everyone else seemed fine. I don't know how many riders were just buzzed.

I was more concerned with the crowded streets, not drunk drivers. They were surely out there, but there are drunk drivers in every city (unfortunately) not just Sturgis.

Only you can decide if you want to take the risk. But every time I swing my leg over my bike, I know there is a risk of coming across a drunk or unsafe driver out there.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:02 PM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

"Unlimited alcohol?" Where'd that come from? It's a bunch of motorcyclists representing a cross section of society. No different than riding anywhere else.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:06 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_RoadKing
"Unlimited alcohol?" Where'd that come from? It's a bunch of motorcyclists representing a cross section of society. No different than riding anywhere else.
OP's been watching too much TV. 34 DUI arrests over the seven day period with 400,000 people there. I feel safer riding there than I do anywhere else.

Last edited by dribble; 08-26-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:37 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I've been twice 2013/14 and have never had an encounter with a drunk rider (that I know of). I'm usually off the streets well before closing time so maybe that's why. If you use the same riding logic and vigilance as anywhere else you should have no more or less problems. Certainly it's not a reason to NOT go.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:42 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

I think a lot of the serious partying takes place at the campgrounds. At least I didn't see anything real crazy on the streets anywhere. There are enough police on the streets that they would probably intercept someone who looked like they had way too much before they rode off. Police on every corner and walking outside the bars and clubs etc.... I also was expecting what I saw on TV but it really isn't like that in Sturgis and small towns in the area. It is heavily monitored.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:09 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,956 Likes on 1,711 Posts

Originally Posted by xracer110
I plan on going to sturgis for the 1st time real soon. My question is about roadway safety with the unlimited alcohol that's there.
If you're going "real soon" then you'll be fine, it's pretty much a ghost town as the rally is over. If you're going next August, it's the 75th and will have a large crowd. However, the roads are as safe as anywhere else while on a motorcycle. Always a chance for bad **** on any roadway at any time.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
If you're going "real soon" then you'll be fine, it's pretty much a ghost town as the rally is over. If you're going next August, it's the 75th and will have a large crowd. However, the roads are as safe as anywhere else while on a motorcycle. Always a chance for bad **** on any roadway at any time.

+1 - The rally ended over two weeks ago so don't sweat it, man.

Last edited by Leftcoaster; 08-27-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:14 PM
wg103
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We went last year. We usually picked a destination Custer state park, Devils tower etc and rode out in the morning. Got back and looked around town late afternoon then headed for the campground (stayed at Glencoe) for the evening. No problems anywhere. In town there is very heavy police presence. We rode across the highway one night to Full Throttle and about 1am a hell of a thunderstorm blew through. Picture thousands of bizzed/drunk bikers trying to find their bikes on a grass/mud hillside field in the dark in the driving (and I do mean it was pouring) rain with wind and vivid lightning. Incredibly we didn't see anyone even drop their bike in those conditions.

Quick Reply: Sturgis safety question