General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Remanufacturing

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:40 PM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Harley Remanufacturing

Biggest news that no one seems to be talking about. The Harley REMAN program, i heard this program was discontinued and when you click on it online, its says the page can't be found. I put a lot of miles on my harley and always thought the REMAN was great, as i can get the engine redone and have a brand new motor with the same engine numbers. Now you will have to buy a whole new engine and have to deal with DMV and all the crap that comes with that, plus a higher price tag as the reman was always cheaper. Sad, each day that goes by, i wonder more and more why i have a harley. Bikes getting cheaper, no reman program, and most dealers suck nowadays

Old 08-26-2014, 10:03 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

that sucks

Old 08-26-2014, 10:03 PM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

I scissored the crank on my Limited about a month ago, the dealer offered the remanufacture (extended warranty) but I opted to have it built to a 107 by a reputable builder. I didn't want to get another crank with .012" runout from the factory.

Extended warranty is coughing up $4500 toward the build.

I talked to an Indy last week that said HD had stopped the remanufature program.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:18 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It is true that the reman engine program is done, my dealer says they are going to offer short blocks, and long blocks, as of last week they are not available as of yet. I said you would think that before they killed the program.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:36 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,762 Likes on 6,200 Posts

Yeah, the MOCO offered remanufacture for Evos for years, that engine being the only one not likely to need it. See how that works?

Twinkies suck.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:45 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure I understand the need for a reman program... when the time comes, tear it apart and rebuild it. Or pay someone else to. I've seen grenaded knuckle drag motor cases be welded and rebuilt good as new so, I can't imagine many problems that would cause you to lose your numbers matching cases.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:58 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

They are selling new bikes like hot cakes, so they don't seem to care about people that want to keep their bikes for a long time. I planned on using the remanufacture program if I ever needed it, guess I will just have to go with a reputable builder, if that is ever needed.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:09 AM
Whoknew72
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dgdamore
Not sure I understand the need for a reman program... when the time comes, tear it apart and rebuild it. Or pay someone else to. I've seen grenaded knuckle drag motor cases be welded and rebuilt good as new so, I can't imagine many problems that would cause you to lose your numbers matching cases.

Yeah, that. Why reman when you can rebuild and restore. One thing that I have always liked about the harley is that it is rebuildable.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:02 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrash3
Biggest news that no one seems to be talking about. The Harley REMAN program, i heard this program was discontinued and when you click on it online, its says the page can't be found. I put a lot of miles on my harley and always thought the REMAN was great, as i can get the engine redone and have a brand new motor with the same engine numbers. Now you will have to buy a whole new engine and have to deal with DMV and all the crap that comes with that, plus a higher price tag as the reman was always cheaper. Sad, each day that goes by, i wonder more and more why i have a harley. Bikes getting cheaper, no reman program, and most dealers suck nowadays
Just buy a new set of cases from Harley, and rebuild from there...that's what I did. I sent in my old beat to **** Evo cases to Surdyke Harley after I ordered the new ones online, and I got a brand new set of cases with my original engine number stamped on them.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:56 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,430 Likes on 4,130 Posts

Originally Posted by dgdamore
I was thinking the same thing. Every bike I've ever owned has been remanned...lol.

Quick Reply: Harley Remanufacturing