General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smokies trip with pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:06 AM
FATKEVIN
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Smokies trip with pics

Just thought I would share a few pictures from the trip down to NC, TN, and a little bit of GA. A friend and I went from IL and picked up the wives in Knoxville and rode with them for four days ending back up in Knoxville and them flying back home. We did the dragon, Cherohala, TN68, GA348(Russell scenic hwy), GA17/75, US64, US276, NC226A, Blue Ridge parkway, and Scenic 73 (Little River rd). Seven days for the total ride not a drop of rain and about 80º logging right around 2050 miles. Did a day trip a few years ago with the wife and rented a street glide and did the tail and cherohala and knew I had to go back down. As many have said on here the scenery is amazing and the people are super nice. Already thinking of going back in the next year or two and I am one of those people that once I do it lets find something new to ride but man was it great down there. Also if anyone is looking for places to stay down there we stayed at The Lodge at Tellico the first night which was really nice and affordable and Johnatan Creek Inn Maggie Valley on the fourth night which was also very nice. I planned the trip staying at a different place each night so we could make a big loop and cover more ground. I could spend a month down there and still not hit everything but would give it my best shot.

First lookout on the Dragon

Lookout on the Cherohala

Bald River Falls Tellico Plains

Helen GA

Tubing on the Chattahoochee in Helen

GA75 out of Helen

Dry Falls on US64

Looking Glass Falls on US276

View from Little Switzerland

Going through the Twin Tunnels on the Blue Ridge

View from the Blue Ridge

Tunnel on the Blue Ridge behind us

Old 08-27-2014, 11:12 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Beautiful >>> Thanks for sharing. Got to do that myself someday.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:00 PM
Frank Dukes
Tourer

man you got way luckier than i did. i was just there the first week of august and got rained on multiple times. and multiple times on the way home. trip was not as much fun as i wanted it to be cuz of that but thats the chance ya take! still an awesome part of the country.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:44 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,116 Likes on 2,674 Posts

great pics!

Old 08-27-2014, 12:55 PM
Trickasabrick
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for making me jealous. Love the Smokies.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Nugget Shooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great ride and pics, love these type posts....

Old 08-27-2014, 01:46 PM
Rumbo
Advanced

Thanks for the great pictures. Love riding the parkway and I ride her at least once a month, most of the time more. I was at little Switzerland about a month ago with my Dad on his Goldwing. He's 74 and fighting cancer but he still rides. He also has a '01 Electric Glide Standard will 116K on the clock. He's an awesome Pop.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:52 PM
FATKEVIN
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Frank Dukes
man you got way luckier than i did. i was just there the first week of august and got rained on multiple times. and multiple times on the way home. trip was not as much fun as i wanted it to be cuz of that but thats the chance ya take! still an awesome part of the country.
Yea we got lucky, left on July 27th and followed a bad storm into Lexington. Must have been about an hour behind it. Hit some wet roads and cars coming towards us were wet but no rain. When we got to Lexington was told the rain and wind was blowing everything over.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Bigbob88
Tourer

Very nice I love that area I'm going down Sept. 14and 15th. for the Grand Rod Run in Pigeon Forge been going to that for the last 20 years. It's a great place to ride though the mountains.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:16 PM
leonm47
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I'd ever come back home.

Quick Reply: Smokies trip with pics