General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which organization do you belong to?
Motorcycle Riders Foundation (MRF)
24.39%
ABATE
48.78%
Freedom of the Road Riders (FORR)
0%
Other
53.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Are you a member of a motorcyclist's rights organization?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 01:45 PM
Bones77
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are you a member of a motorcyclist's rights organization?

Seen a couple of other threads that made me wonder how many forum members are members of motorcyclist's rights organization. Motorcycle Riders Foundation (MRF), ABATE, Freedom of the Road Riders (FORR), etc...

My way of thinking about things is if you ride you should belong to an MRO. Otherwise you haven't earned the privilege to complain about helmet tickets, equipment tickets, etc....

I'm interested to hear what others got to say.

Bones

Old 08-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting that you omitted the largest and most effective organization (on the national level).......the American Motorcyclist Association.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:27 PM
an Uncouth Barbarian
Road Warrior
Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Bones77
Seen a couple of other threads that made me wonder how many forum members are members of motorcyclist's rights organization. Motorcycle Riders Foundation (MRF), ABATE, Freedom of the Road Riders (FORR), etc...

My way of thinking about things is if you ride you should belong to an MRO. Otherwise you haven't earned the privilege to complain about helmet tickets, equipment tickets, etc....

I'm interested to hear what others got to say.

Bones

Been riding since the sixties and have never belonged to an MRO. Never will. I will take the privilege to complain about whatever I want, whenever I want.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by an Uncouth Barbarian

Been riding since the sixties and have never belonged to an MRO. Never will. I will take the privilege to complain about whatever I want, whenever I want.
Well you won't be very effective. Why do you think we are allowed to ride around on 2 wheels with no helmet, when we have a nanny state that makes everybody wear a seat belt? Only because there is strength in numbers, and politicians only pay attention to lobbyists. Get one working for you, or you will get pushed around by someone else's lobbyist.

I am in the AMA, which also gives you free towing and some decent discounts. I will probably join ABATE too.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/membership/join

Old 08-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Bones77
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Steady Eddy
Interesting that you omitted the largest and most effective organization (on the national level).......the American Motorcyclist Association.
They only offered four options or I would have included the AMA. I'm a strong advocate for ABATE and the MRF. I tend to see some philosophical differences between ABATE, MRF and AMA. My perception is that the AMA tends to favor the needs of manufacturers over riders.

At any rate not an omission. Glad to hear you belong.

Bones.

Originally Posted by an Uncouth Barbarian
I equated this to those who don't vote and complain about their president, senator, congressman.

I still support your right to ride as you choose and certainly support your right to not belong to any organization.

Bones

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-28-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:17 PM
FredAndrews
Tourer

joining a club is like paying for your friends

Old 08-27-2014, 03:28 PM
Bones77
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FredAndrews
joining a club is like paying for your friends

Fred, You should learn a bit about what your speaking to.

This thread is not about clubs. Its not about Motorcycle clubs, riding clubs or any other type of club. It's about political rights organizations that advocate for motorcyclists.

Bones

Old 08-27-2014, 04:38 PM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't belong to a motorcycle rights organization, but I do appreciate on what they do...

Old 08-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I am a member of The American Motorcyclist Association, a national lobbying assn that lobbies the Federal Legislature concerning items of interest to those who own/ride motorcycles. Issues like helmet laws, pipe laws, and corn ethanol in gasoline. They were recently effective in helping to kill a law that would have mandated an increase to 15% ethanol in our gasoline.

I am also a Member and V.P. of the Maui Chapter of Hawaii Street Bikers United. A 501(c)3 organization that lobbies on the local level; State and County on the same issues as above that can impact on how we ride. Although I always wear a helmet, I respect the decisions of those who do not. As has been said, "Let those who ride decide". The only actual organized rides we take part in is an annual Memorial Day ride and the annual "Christmas Toys-4-Tots" run in conjunction with the U.S. Marine Corps and the Salvation Army.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Last edited by Str8chuter; 08-29-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:51 PM
bbuckis
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Haven't earned the privilege to complain." Someone is really full of themselves.

Quick Reply: Are you a member of a motorcyclist's rights organization?