General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my stealership really just that?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 05:07 AM
wg103
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
$120.00 an hour or more to work on a motorcycle??? As my dear old grandmother used to say "Aww hell no!". If you're gonna ride motorcycles for life, especially HDs; get yourself some tools, repair/electrical manuals and start small and then start handling the jobs on your bike(s) as they come along. With the lack of good mechanics at the Harley T shirt shops you really can't do any worse than them.
Good idea. As a rule I'd consider basic maintenance like oil/fluid and filter changes brake pads etc outlined in the owner's manual things the rider should consider doing himself. That's the bulk of what the bike needs regularly and would save good money and the rider learns about his bike. Beyond that get a factory service manual and decide what you are comfortable dealing with.

$120/hr is high my dealer charges $90
Then again most dealers do not charge full labor rate for basic maintenance work it's discounted to be competitive.

Last edited by wg103; 08-29-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:27 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,474 Likes on 2,476 Posts

Believe it or not, I actually don't know if they do this, because my bike is so perfect & in such great shape, there is never anything wrong with it that I don't know about, as I am always going over my sled with extreme precision. I am very attuned to my bike, & know every single time when something is wrong. They do perform a safety inspection before they take it in back for service, for which I am GRATEFUL, otherwise I could be DEAD. (or serious injury)

Back in the day, there was a Honda shop where I would bring my rice, & when I went to pick it up, there were always 3 or 4 things they found wrong. Problem was, they would repair these things without my approval, then hand me a bill for 3 X the original estimate. I always made them undo the repair & take it off the bill, & where they couldn't undo it, take it off the bill anyway. I never once paid them.

So, the dealership may be trying to upsell, but be thankful they found the problem before you found it at 80 MPH.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:21 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,119 Likes on 1,496 Posts

ANY good mechanic though (including Indy) can do safety inspections. (and technically so can yourself!) Lots of good Indy mechs are ex-dealership techs, or...work a second job (at night) at an Indy shop...and their day job is a dealership tech.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:03 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Knuckles73
Ok...I stopped using the Stealership for work on my 2004 softail few yrs ago and have either done work myself or used an Indy shop. I am friends with a parts guy at my local HD and I let him talk me in to giving them a shot again.

The reason I quit the local HD was everytime,it seemed, bike went in for something they are calling me 3-4 times with more **** they find wrong thus increasing cost. Now I give them another chance and the same ol ****.

What should have been new bars and windshield harware, has now added leaking fuel lines inside and out(not leaking when went in btw), run brake module with bent pins.. they want to replace, broken wires under speedo... so far now at $1600 bucks!

Have others found that this happens at their dealers? Are they just being thorough? or is it a known HD practice in order to make more money?
Steal - To take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

What did they steal from you?

Old 08-29-2014, 01:36 PM
BootheatsBUGS
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why I only go to the dealer for parts and free BBQ

Old 08-29-2014, 02:08 PM
Knuckles73
Tourer

The basic question was do you guys who use HD for your work, whatever it is... do they point out other issues or not. Nothing more...are they stealing? well at their prices some would say so...but I made the choice to use them over my indies so thats on me.

I'll be the first to admit I am a paranoid SOB. I ride in excess of 10k a yr I too know my bike, from smallest change in ride to any little sound that wasnt there before. But when I take it in without a specific problem then get a call that there is an issue I know didnt exist when I left it...I am skeptical and yes paranoid. So F*$ckin sue me.

I have a job that requires me to be away for 2 weeks home for 2 weeks... I dont like spending my off time working on my bike...so now I pay someone to do it while I am away so I can put as many miles on it as possible when I am home. But you can bet that when I return to pick it up I will be asking to see the bad parts.

And you're right I can always say no to any issues they point out. Maybe the 2 indies I use just arent as thorough... I know they charge me what they work...not by a price/labor book.

Yes my bike is 10 yrs old, sort of. I laid it down 3 yrs ago and it was rebuilt from seat forward including electrical work, minus engine work. Since then I installed 2 front ends, new wheels not to mentioned serviced it myself every interval. 1 yr ago I put in a bb 95" kit cams etc. So in essense its only 3 yrs old. So things like bad fuel lines, brake run module and broken wires, while not impossible are less likely.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:04 AM
wg103
Advanced

Originally Posted by Knuckles73
The basic question was do you guys who use HD for your work, whatever it is... do they point out other issues or not. Nothing more...are they stealing? well at their prices some would say so...but I made the choice to use them over my indies so thats on me.

I'll be the first to admit I am a paranoid SOB. I ride in excess of 10k a yr I too know my bike, from smallest change in ride to any little sound that wasnt there before. But when I take it in without a specific problem then get a call that there is an issue I know didnt exist when I left it...I am skeptical and yes paranoid. So F*$ckin sue me.

I have a job that requires me to be away for 2 weeks home for 2 weeks... I dont like spending my off time working on my bike...so now I pay someone to do it while I am away so I can put as many miles on it as possible when I am home. But you can bet that when I return to pick it up I will be asking to see the bad parts.

And you're right I can always say no to any issues they point out. Maybe the 2 indies I use just arent as thorough... I know they charge me what they work...not by a price/labor book.

Yes my bike is 10 yrs old, sort of. I laid it down 3 yrs ago and it was rebuilt from seat forward including electrical work, minus engine work. Since then I installed 2 front ends, new wheels not to mentioned serviced it myself every interval. 1 yr ago I put in a bb 95" kit cams etc. So in essense its only 3 yrs old. So things like bad fuel lines, brake run module and broken wires, while not impossible are less likely.
OK. some direct answers then. Both of my bikes were purchased new and are still are under warranty so the dealer handles warranty work. Maintenance and accessories I do myself using OE Harley parts. But my situation is different than yours because I do that sort of thing for a living and prefer to handle it myself.

Is the dealer charging you too much? That's relative, money is like air or sex it's no big deal unless you aren't getting enough. Ask a Honda rider if he thinks everything Harley-Davidson is overpriced especially the bikes. And some people only buy used bikes to save money they want that high end brand name but not the price of admission, like the guys riding around in a 6-year old Mercedes from a buy-here-pay-here used car lot. Everyone is different, I have pulled in brand new $80,000 luxury cars that have McDonalds wrappers on the floor and the low fuel light on.

Is it possible the fuel line is seeping/leaking and the wires are broken? Unless your front end rebuild after the crash included replacing those 2 specific parts then they are 10 years old so yes it's possible. Is it also possible the tech working on your bike broke your wires and wants to charge you to repair or replace them? Yes. Again, it all comes down to trust, if you dont trust the shop don't take your bike there. But like I said earlier if you find a good shop and consistently deal with them instead of chasing the lowest price around town then the trust develops.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:42 AM
FredAndrews
Tourer

I do all of my own repairs so this is no issue for me

Old 08-30-2014, 10:55 AM
Knuckles73
Tourer

Originally Posted by FredAndrews
I do all of my own repairs so this is no issue for me
wish I had the knowledge, tools/garage and time...but good for you and to the others who can and do work exclusively on their's.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

A quick word about labor rates. Always inquire when dropping a vehicle off for repair whether or not the labor rate is "matrixed" or "on the grid". Both dealerships (GM) I worked for and 1 indy used labor and/or parts price matrixing. In short, it means the more hours you pay for the more each hour costs. This was always contrary to the way I thought things should be done, but then, I don't have a degree in bean counting.

In the end ask around, find someone you are comfortable with and don't let them get complacent or take you for granted.

Attached Thumbnails Is my stealership really just that?-grid_pricing_matrix.jpg  

Last edited by Redoilokie; 08-30-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Is my stealership really just that?