General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my stealership really just that?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:11 AM
weekender2098
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default agree

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Yup, that's my take on it. I have my bike serviced at my local Dealership and every now & then they'll bring something to my attention that wasn't on my punch list when I dropped it off. Sometimes it's something important and sometimes its not. I certainly don't feel like they're trying to up-sell anything and I don't ever feel like they ripped me off. After seeing some of the other hourly rates, I feel pretty lucky. Mine only charges $90 or $95/hr.

BTW: it always gets me when someone patronizes a Dealership and then comes on here, rips on them, and calls them a stealership. It's kinda like saying the woman you live with is a total bitch. I mean, YOU picked her and still live with her. So, either boot her *** out or STFU about it. Otherwise, IMO, it just makes you look like a moron when you rag about it.
I agree!

Old 08-31-2014, 02:51 PM
Knuckles73
Tourer

I'm a moron? Again it was a question as to whether guys who use their local HD for service/repairs if my experience was common for them too. Nothing more. Not ripping any dealer. If I had been trying to rip on a dealership I would have named that dealership. If I want to refer to them as a Stealership I will...what the **** is it to you? I might not like the fact that you ride your bike xxx number of miles a year and call yourself biker....or I might not like the fact that you trailer your ride to a rally only 200 miles away...or any number of things that I have my opinion about. But I refrain from calling you poser or trailer ***** etc... I just shake my head with the ones I disagree with and keep my comments to myself. I suggest you pratice the same... the next guy might not be as forgiving and you may be toothless.

Last edited by Knuckles73; 08-31-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:18 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

My local dealership is incredible. The best motor vehicle dealership and service department, car or bike, I've ever run across. I like to go in there just to hear everybody call me by my first name, and get a cup of coffee.

If they were open at 8:00 am, I'd read my morning paper in there.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:23 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by FredAndrews
not a lot of smarts in this post wow

I'm guessing you didn't think this one through.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:36 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,113 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
BTW: it always gets me when someone patronizes a Dealership and then comes on here, rips on them, and calls them a stealership. It's kinda like saying the woman you live with is a total bitch. I mean, YOU picked her and still live with her. So, either boot her *** out or STFU about it. Otherwise, IMO, it just makes you look like a moron when you rag about it.
Some people make take a few times to learn. Sounds like the OP learned...but a buddy talked him into giving it "another shot"...which he did, and regretted. Guess he just needed confirmation again.

I hadn't been inside one in years...nope didn't buy bike at one, will not buy one (don't like the new bikes anyways). But wife is itchin ride again now that kids are older so she heard of a recent used Sporty trade in at the local stealership. I rode up with her on the back...and just as I figured...99% of the people standin around in the lot were on garage queen bikes, probably don't put more than 20 miles on in a weekend, most of the bikes generic black new models with the same generic vance pipes, guys dressed up in all brand new head to toe h-d logo dealership clothing, walking all slow motion because they think that's how they're supposed to behave. Cracked me up! yup the weekend warrior crowd, whip out that credit card.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:41 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
...and just as I figured...99% of the people standin around in the lot were on garage queen bikes, probably don't put more than 20 miles on in a weekend, most of the bikes generic black new models with the same generic vance pipes, guys dressed up in all brand new head to toe h-d logo dealership clothing, walking all slow motion because they think that's how they're supposed to behave. Cracked me up! yup the weekend warrior crowd, whip out that credit card.
Crap. Black is my favorite color.

What color motorcycle do I have your permission to own?

Old 09-01-2014, 06:28 PM
wg103
Advanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
...and just as I figured...99% of the people standin around in the lot were on garage queen bikes, probably don't put more than 20 miles on in a weekend, most of the bikes generic black new models with the same generic vance pipes, guys dressed up in all brand new head to toe h-d logo dealership clothing, walking all slow motion because they think that's how they're supposed to behave. Cracked me up! yup the weekend warrior crowd, whip out that credit card.

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Crap. Black is my favorite color.

What color motorcycle do I have your permission to own?
Sounds bitter and jealous because he has to buy everything used from Fleabay.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:38 PM
AJGrey
Intermediate

I think there are a lot of good points on here, I have done most of all the work myself (non-certified) but I always find myself questioning what I've done just because I am not certified. If you feel that that "stealer" is too much for you and peace of mind (which is the biggest point) you can do you own work like I have, but for lets say, 1k and 5 k service, yeah you can change the big 3, Trans, primary and oil. no biggie, but they check a lot more that just those fluids. to make sure your scoot is running right. The biggest costs is the labor, anywhere from 70 to 90 bucks an hour. If you have some good dudes that know what they are doing, hell you can drop a case off have a good time and learn about your bike. I just bought my fourth bike, Street Glide, and ran 1500 miles in 3 days, so I am do for a service, 330 they said.....will i go with them, prob not, but if you know some local shops that are certified you can get a great deal especially if you deal with them a lot. Just my two cents.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:46 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,113 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by wg103
Sounds bitter and jealous because he has to buy everything used from Fleabay.
LMFAO..quite opposite. I get to pick unusual authentic parts, original parts, from the original old days. And let those original parts "re-live" another life. Not the cheap chinese made import fake chrome plated plastic parts of today. Plus I can put it on myself, and be different..instead of following the new age sheeple crowd paying some kiddie wrench several hundred bucks to put it on or change my oil for me.

It's called "pride" and being different...something gone from todays cloned rubs that have garage queens that barely get out 5 times a year.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:28 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know about the service department but the parts counter should have a gallon lube dispenser....

Quick Reply: Is my stealership really just that?