General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boot help

Old 08-28-2014, 11:30 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Boot help

I know this has been done to death but...

I live in a very rural area, I've looked everywhere I can for boots to find a reasonable fit and feel, but it looks like I may have to buy online which I hate to do for footwear.

This will be my first set of proper boots for riding and I'm trying to figure out the differences between these two if anyone can help or shed light. I know I want laces as well as a side zipper preferred. Most of my riding is in warm/hot weather only time I ride in rain is when I'm caught in it (for now, I haven't had the chance for any big road trips). Both of these are in the same price point but one is a little higher. The sole on the Ormond looks beefier but I want to be able to "feel" the pegs and shifter a little too.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Bates Ormond
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/561-815

Bates Escalante
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/562-044

Old 08-28-2014, 11:37 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 693 Likes on 357 Posts

One thing to check before any online purchase on boots is their return policy. Those might look good but feel like bricks on your feet. What one likes, another hates. Me, I like my Timberland steel toe work boots or my Doc Martins.

http://workingperson.com/ is a good site to check things out. Good luck

Last edited by tas_todd; 08-28-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:13 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tas_todd
One thing to check before any online purchase on boots is their return policy. Those might look good but feel like bricks on your feet. What one likes, another hates. Me, I like my Timberland steel toe work boots or my Doc Martins.

http://workingperson.com/ is a good site to check things out. Good luck
Agreed thanks. Yep JP has a great return program. I actually bought a pair of what I thought would be good boots from workingperson, they did their job right but the boots were way too wide (I even downsized based on reviews), that's what led me to these two models. I just am not sure as to which would be better for both bike feel and not being too hot.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:53 PM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 693 Likes on 357 Posts

I always get my boots 1/2 size bigger so I can have room for more padding and thicker socks in the winter.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:46 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Don't waste your cash on BIKER Boot's Get a good pair of Red Wing's work boots or whatever brand you wish. I personally wear the logger boots most of the time, not a tall person and they help a lot.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:55 PM
TheRooster
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by farmboy555
Don't waste your cash on BIKER Boot's Get a good pair of Red Wing's work boots or whatever brand you wish. I personally wear the logger boots most of the time, not a tall person and they help a lot.
I'd suggest the same. The logger boots I have (8") cover my ankle and are very supportive.

They're pricey, though.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:32 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't mind pricey but some I thought were a little too stiff and I would feel like my toe was getting kind of stuck under the shifter (I know I'm not explaining it right).

I think I saw a place about an hour away with Red Wing boots I'll check them out. I don't think I want steel toe though

Old 08-28-2014, 07:01 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I pretty much agree with these guys...

I was trying my damnedest to find a good pair of lace up, 8" height boots with a decent sole and motorcycle specific armor (plates over the ankle bones, stiffened heel, protected toe, etc. I couldn't really find what I was looking for, so I went to a couple of motorcycle gear shops to try on motorcycle specific boots with the protection above. I tried several big name brands in the low to moderate price points, and found nothing that was remotely comfortable. To get the width I needed, I was pretty much a size or more too long.

I looked at Harley riding boots, but none that I found offered any more protection than standard work boots.

So I ended up saving some money and bought some decent steel toe work boots. I've been wearing Chippewa's for work for many years and they are good - but I found a pair of Danner boots (Quarry 3.0) that are a little better choice for riding. They have an extra layer of leather on the ankle shaft, a lower, 1" heel, and a softer rubber sole for better grip (doesn't last as long, so aren't great actual 'work' boots). They are unlined, so not overly hot, but have a gore-tex layer to keep them waterproof.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:32 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Magnums with side zipper been getting them for years.Very comfortable right out the box. Work ( Plumber ) ,riding ,all the time use. Have wide sizes .I get the stealth. Around 125 dollars .They are not overly protective though ,might be able to get with steel toe ,a lot of different models .If you want good Motor cycle boots ( racing type )alpine star but watch the sizing run small .

Last edited by electricstart; 08-28-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:52 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

High top tennis shoes , just don't fall off

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boot help