General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'60 Panhead value?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:30 PM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts
Default '60 Panhead value?

So I have a 01 Superglide I have been trying to sell so I can add a softtail to the garage in it's place.

Today I'm talking to this guy who is interested in my bike and he tells me he has a '60 panhead he might do some trading on. I am really not up on the value of these older bikes and engines as much as I should be. So I'd appreciate any advice you guys can offer. He won't come right out with a price on the bike. I haven't even seen the bike yet but this is what I know about it so far.

While he was off on a state sponsored vacation the engine was taken off the bike by his brother because he was trying figure out if he could mount a shovel he had built and both frame and engine have been sitting now for 4 years.

The frame was raked at one time, but has since been restored.

Of course I am taking a huge grain of salt with what this old boy is telling me but he has my interest.

LiiT

Old 08-28-2014, 03:54 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

The better shape the motor and trans is in will make it more $$$. If the frame has been cut I wouldn't even want it, so there's no added value there. If it has a clean title that's a plus. You can pick up a new frame and or front end for a few $$$ and make it the way you want. Figure what it will cost you to put it back together, parts, paint, and labor for anything you can't do, and decide if you even want to get involved with it.,,

Old 08-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,167 Likes on 5,391 Posts

An original pan drive-train that is rebuildable condition with a matching title could easily be worth more than your superglide...but it also could be a bunch of miss-matched junk that is not worth much...tread with caution.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:19 PM
Krutch
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he is on "paid for vacation" you might want to be very wary of that bike. He may not be aware of it's condition. Or he might well know it is junk!
That said, it could be a good buy/trade. Even if the engine is out of it.
You really need an old head to look it over. Someone who KNOWS what he is seeing.
The frame having been cut is not good. If it was restored to OEM specs. OK but not many can do that properly. It takes a frame jig and caring worker.
If it is all there, you could be on track to a great old machine. But you could wind up a victim of fraud.
Don't go into a deal blind.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:05 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Sounds like the panhead is in parts/unknown condition. Best deal I would offer him if I had a running '01 Super Glide would be, all his panhead parts +$3500 from him (making sure numbers match and clean title) for the '01.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:02 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input. I should be able to find out more about the engine today.

Gazzalodi - I was thinking along very similar lines. Some research on my part after making the post turned up some surprising numbers on what these bikes are actually selling for in running condition.

I have been wanting to get myself some old iron, but I guess we'll wait and see how it rolls out.

LiiT

Old 08-29-2014, 06:13 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Post down in the classic subforums....the panhead forum is down there....
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/panhead-64/

Try to get username Johnjzjz to see the thread...he hangs out in the Shovel forum more (which is pretty active, I know the Pan forum is slow)...(lotta classic bike guys hang out down there and down venture out in these general forums much)...but there's a TON of old school knowledge down there.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:44 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Originally Posted by Gazzalodi
Sounds like the panhead is in parts/unknown condition. Best deal I would offer him if I had a running '01 Super Glide would be, all his panhead parts +$3500 from him (making sure numbers match and clean title) for the '01.
Seriously? Went to KKB to look at prices on the OPs bike (not sure how else you get the price) and it list an 01 Superglide at between 5-6K. Assuming that is in the ballpark, you are saying the value of the pan is a not even 2K.

Obvioulsy none of us know what condition the pan project is in, but I haven't seen a bittsa pan go that cheap since the late 70's. And unless the seller is a stone cold tweaker, he's not gonna let it go that kinda money.

To the OP, unless you know Pans, or can take someone with some "real" knowledge about them with you to inspect the bike, you are walking into a minefield. A good vin and title is just scratching the surface of what you need to look for.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:57 AM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would suggest that if you can get the numbers off the frame and/or motor: tell the guy you want to have it checked and if you live in a small community where you may know the local Sheriff..I would ask the sheriff to run the numbers to check to see if it was ever stolen....He might not run it...but just tell him you know where it's at if it comes back stolen...... when you tell the seller what your plans are,,,you may find the answer then...

Old 08-29-2014, 09:13 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Originally Posted by ZUTEDUFF
i would suggest that if you can get the numbers off the frame and/or motor: tell the guy you want to have it checked and if you live in a small community where you may know the local Sheriff..I would ask the sheriff to run the numbers to check to see if it was ever stolen....He might not run it...but just tell him you know where it's at if it comes back stolen...... when you tell the seller what your plans are,,,you may find the answer then...
A 60 Pan (actually all pans) will not have a frame number from the factory. Depending on the year they may have a date code stamped above the top motor mount (letter and number indicating month and year).

In addition to a Vin number on the left case above the timing hole, there are lower case numbers. From the factory they were matching and will give you the engine size, year and production number.

Biggest issue with these old motors is phony vin numbers.

This site http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php is the best guide to ensuring that you are looking at good case numbers. It is free and run by a long time AMCA member.

About the only other source of knowledge (outsdide an actual person) is Palmers "How to Retsore Your Harley Davidson". He recently completed a redo on his first edition; it should be available in Sepetember for sale.

Last edited by panz4ever; 08-29-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: '60 Panhead value?