General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heritage classic vs RK vs RK classic

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 04:27 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default heritage classic vs RK vs RK classic

thinking of maybe swapping my ultra for one of these

couple reasons
- lower seat
- lighter bike
- retro look
- i enjoy riding my daughters sportster a lot buzzing around so i thought these might be a good purchase, like best of both worlds
- cause i can

got an 09 with 50k on it. great on the rode but a bit high and heavy for gravel which in my meanderings i sometimes hit.

but then on the rode, it can't be beat

so just thinking

but wondering the differences, etc., looking for comments

i do know about the better suspension on the RKs. and that they are basiclly the ultra without some of the bling

might be interested in a used bike

Old 08-29-2014, 04:44 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The RK is a great bike. I bought a used 2009 that was a previous rental with 35,000 miles and put another 20,000 with no problems. I traded it in on a new 2012 and rode it a lot. I started having problems with my shoulder so I traded it in on a softie, big mistake. I rode the Softail for about 18 months but never warmed up to it. Last week I decided it was time to get back on a bagger. I considered the Road King, Street Glide, and the Heritage. I only considered the Heritage because of the .99% financing that was being offered. Anyhow, last Saturday I took a bit of a gamble and bought a 2014 Road King. My gamble was a home run, the 2014 is identical to the 2015. I am really happy to be back on a Road King. Going from a softie to a RK, the first thing I noticed (remembered) is that the RK shakes at idle, as a Harley should. Next was throttle by wire, but it takes about 10 minutes to get used to. It was a good decision for me. Good Luck!

Last edited by mmcbeat; 08-29-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:42 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

After a dealer visit the other day I like the heritage softail over the RK. Just feels better to me with the down in the bike position. I feel like I'm sitting on top of a horse on the RK. I like to sit in a bike not on it. But that's just me and completely irrelevant to how you may feel about it. With my bad back, seating position is a number 1 priority for me. It either works for me or it don't. No knock against the king at all, they are nice rides.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:47 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Bought my 13 Heritage new last year. Two week long trips two up. Still love the bike. And as you noticed, I too like sitting in the bike, not on.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:09 PM
Redfish911
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I've ridden all 3 and like all 3. The Heritage is the easiest to ride and looks great. The RK however is more comfortable (with the right bars and seat). Plus if you need or want cruise control, which was a big factor for me, you won't find it on the Heritage. I went with the RKC and except for the locking bags I have no complaints. I like the nostalgic look.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:32 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

HAVE YOU SEEn the New 15'ssss

they now have a Ultra """LOW""" lower seat than the SG or RG (Less than 26'') and has the new HighOutPut motor,, Lights, Lighting frong and rear and other MR mods...

It has me thinking......

Old 08-29-2014, 07:45 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
HAVE YOU SEEn the New 15'ssss

they now have a Ultra """LOW""" lower seat than the SG or RG (Less than 26'') and has the new HighOutPut motor,, Lights, Lighting frong and rear and other MR mods...

It has me thinking......
Say it isn't so. You can take care of your thinking, they look great, but the 15's will put a large dent in your pocket book. 15 Heritage or RKC with ABS, 2 tone and security, $21K++ My 11 Heritage looks better to me when I get the itch and go and price a new one.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:47 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

The RK/RKC is a great bike. It is a touring bike, handles great, but looks like a classic cruiser.

I personally love the look of the Heritage but would never buy one. To get the low-slung softail look, the MoCo had to sacrifice lean angles. They have 8-9 degrees less lean than the Road Kings. (Don't take my word for it. The MoCo puts lean angles on the website.) That's alot. The result is that they do not handle through the twisties very well at all. That does not work with the way I like to ride. If you ride more conservatively through curves, or ride mostly around town, I'm sure the Heritage is fine.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:14 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I suggest sticking with what you know. You are already accustomed to the tourers so if you want something a little easier to handle I think the Road King would be a great choice for you. I owned a 2009 RKC and it was a great bike and much easier to handle than the ultra Limited that I once owned. I love my softails but the tourers I owned were great bikes too. Good luck with your decision

Old 08-30-2014, 09:26 PM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyRebKY
After a dealer visit the other day I like the heritage softail over the RK. Just feels better to me with the down in the bike position. I feel like I'm sitting on top of a horse on the RK. I like to sit in a bike not on it. But that's just me and completely irrelevant to how you may feel about it. With my bad back, seating position is a number 1 priority for me. It either works for me or it don't. No knock against the king at all, they are nice rides.
I got a heritage instead of RK for same reason. RK felt like I was riding too high.... 4 yrs with a heritage and no regrets.

Quick Reply: heritage classic vs RK vs RK classic