General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got to learn to keep it slowed down...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 05:03 PM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Got to learn to keep it slowed down...

Well, I love the way this bike rides and how much power it has.

I was out again today riding with some friends on a road out in the middle of nowhere through the countryside and I was following a guy on a Honda ST1300...

When we got to a straight away, he took off...and so did I.

Well, I passed him at 105 mph and then saw up ahead there was traffic so I slowed down and got down to 4th gear doing about 55 mph.
The guy on the ST passed the traffic ahead, then I passed the traffic also.
As I shifted into 5th....at some unknown speed, the front end felt like it was going to lift up on me...I kept going and shifted into 6th at 100 and the front end felt like it was going to come off the ground also.

I realized..."This is Nuts".....so I slowed down and kept the speed under 70 the rest of the way to our destination.

I am used to riding Goldwings, and Ultra's....not these light, powerful little Dyna rockets that could send me to meet my maker before I planned.

I know this...if I can't keep it under 70 from now on...I am going to sell it.

I love twisting the throttle on it and feeling the bike pull. It is better than any ride at the amusement parks.

I just think this bike is too light to be doing that kind of speed on it. This is my 4th Harley and I don't want it to be my last.

I know it is not as powerful as a lot of you guys who have 107 - 124's and I just think sometime....speed and the thrill of the torque of the engine could get me into trouble.

I have been lucky and not got any speeding tickets yet either.

.....And I don't want the nickname..."Rocketman".

I have an idea....I will tell my wife what happened and she will want me to sell it.

Then I can buy a new "Limited Low".

Old 08-29-2014, 05:19 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm surprised you've survived 4 Harleys? Sounds like you're missing the true joy of motorcycling.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My new 14 has a lot more pull than my older ones. I find myself hauling *** in just about every gear, and don't even realize it until I look at the speedo. Yay!

Old 08-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Powerful Harley = oxymoron.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:02 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
I'm surprised you've survived 4 Harleys? Sounds like you're missing the true joy of motorcycling.
No, sounds to me like he's enjoying it just fine. I'd be lying if I said I've never found myself going wayyy too fast on a motorcycle, because I sure as hell have. Most of us have.

I know the pilot in me looovvvveees to feel that kick in the pants!

Old 08-29-2014, 06:05 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ron, no reason to slow down...time for some suspension upgrades

Old 08-29-2014, 06:09 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

How about adding some NOS to your scooter?

Old 08-29-2014, 06:25 PM
NO PCKL
Road Warrior
Received 491 Likes on 270 Posts

Was taught my too fast lesson one night many years ago by a rather large moth. Was accelerating on an on ramp and was probably doing 110 +/- when I saw it for a split second just before it slammed into my left shoulder. Felt like I'd been shot! I make it a point to not get much past 70 these days.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:38 PM
NooneOfConsequence
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboyron
Well, I love the way this bike rides and how much power it has.

I was out again today riding with some friends on a road out in the middle of nowhere through the countryside and I was following a guy on a Honda ST1300...

When we got to a straight away, he took off...and so did I.

Well, I passed him at 105 mph and then saw up ahead there was traffic so I slowed down and got down to 4th gear doing about 55 mph.
The guy on the ST passed the traffic ahead, then I passed the traffic also.
As I shifted into 5th....at some unknown speed, the front end felt like it was going to lift up on me...I kept going and shifted into 6th at 100 and the front end felt like it was going to come off the ground also.

I realized..."This is Nuts".....so I slowed down and kept the speed under 70 the rest of the way to our destination.

I am used to riding Goldwings, and Ultra's....not these light, powerful little Dyna rockets that could send me to meet my maker before I planned.

I know this...if I can't keep it under 70 from now on...I am going to sell it.

I love twisting the throttle on it and feeling the bike pull. It is better than any ride at the amusement parks.

I just think this bike is too light to be doing that kind of speed on it. This is my 4th Harley and I don't want it to be my last.

I know it is not as powerful as a lot of you guys who have 107 - 124's and I just think sometime....speed and the thrill of the torque of the engine could get me into trouble.

I have been lucky and not got any speeding tickets yet either.

.....And I don't want the nickname..."Rocketman".

I have an idea....I will tell my wife what happened and she will want me to sell it.

Then I can buy a new "Limited Low".
Boy, you'd better hope you never get a bike that's ACTUALLY fast.
I've owned bikes that would leave a Harley, even a modded one, like it was tied to a stump. I got rid of them much for the same reasons you stated above; it was FAR too easy to be 'unintentionally reckless' on it and I'd kinda like to be around long enough to see my kids grow up.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:52 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboyron
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

YOU lost me as a reader at that point.. too much to believe and I don't believe anything you said after reading that..

Quick Reply: Got to learn to keep it slowed down...