General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Museum

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:10 AM
smke54
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Museum

Driving(not ready for the long trip on my Iron) up to Milwaukee for my first visit to the Museum. Any helpful hints? And more importantly how are the ribs at Motor?

Old 08-30-2014, 12:21 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I haven't tried the ribs but the museum is totally amazing. I've been over a half dozen times and each time was special. My wife and I love history and art and you get both at the HD museum.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:29 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can't be but around 100 miles from there. Why not ride? IMO that is nowhere near a long trip.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 803 Posts

The museum is fantastic. I thought the food at their restaurant was a little expensive but good. Consider trying to ride if you can.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:21 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Take the bike! Only about 120 miles each way. Plenty of places to stop along the way. The museum is great. You'll enjoy it.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:05 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Never had the ribs but the hamburgers and pork BBQ sliders are pretty good. Prices are not all that bad for the food. It's the drinks that cost $$. My last tab there was easily 50/50 alcohol/food and I had 2 drinks.

I agree - a ride up sounds like a great way to go. But, do what you're comfortable with.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:47 PM
pwp
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You'll love the museum, it truly is a top-notch destination. I was there two weeks ago (my 2nd time there). Food at Motor is very good, but I haven't had the ribs so can't comment on those. I had a pulled-pork sandwich which was delicious.

Check the museum hours on their website before you go. Allow yourself a minimum of 4 hours. You'll feel very rushed if you have less time than that. Another tip I would offer for visitors, is simply to point out that the museum is very close to the Milwaukee Brewer's baseball stadium. If you're at all interested in catching a game, check their schedule ahead of time, and do take note that you can drive from the museum to the stadium using surface streets (easier than heading back onto the interstate... at least for an out-of-towner like myself).

I would also advise to take your motorcycle to the museum. I rode in from Canada, so surely your trip from Illinois wouldn't be a huge deal. Milwaukee appears to be very motorcycle friendly. If you take bike to the museum, they let you park right in front of the door, in a motorcycles-only area. Same thing when I went to the Brewers game. The parking attendant yelled out at me, "Hey! Bikes can go park right up front!!" Yup. I felt very welcome in Milwaukee and Wisconsin in general. Good people there.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:49 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
You can't be but around 100 miles from there. Why not ride? IMO that is nowhere near a long trip.
Originally Posted by sioux565
Take the bike! Only about 120 miles each way. Plenty of places to stop along the way. The museum is great. You'll enjoy it.
Agreed with these guys. 4-5 hours is a long ride with my body. If I lived as close as you, I'd already been there.

Take the bike.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:04 PM
BuckeyeMan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pwp
You'll love the museum, it truly is a top-notch destination. I was there two weeks ago (my 2nd time there). Food at Motor is very good, but I haven't had the ribs so can't comment on those. I had a pulled-pork sandwich which was delicious.

Check the museum hours on their website before you go. Allow yourself a minimum of 4 hours. You'll feel very rushed if you have less time than that. Another tip I would offer for visitors, is simply to point out that the museum is very close to the Milwaukee Brewer's baseball stadium. If you're at all interested in catching a game, check their schedule ahead of time, and do take note that you can drive from the museum to the stadium using surface streets (easier than heading back onto the interstate... at least for an out-of-towner like myself).

I would also advise to take your motorcycle to the museum. I rode in from Canada, so surely your trip from Illinois wouldn't be a huge deal. Milwaukee appears to be very motorcycle friendly. If you take bike to the museum, they let you park right in front of the door, in a motorcycles-only area. Same thing when I went to the Brewers game. The parking attendant yelled out at me, "Hey! Bikes can go park right up front!!" Yup. I felt very welcome in Milwaukee and Wisconsin in general. Good people there.
I was there last week. On a bike they make you feel very welcome as far the whole city of Milwaukee. That is why I like going up there so much.

Motor is a great place to eat. I went in there on a Wednesday at lunch and sat at the bar. Bill Davidson was sitting three spots away from me. He was talking to all the people in there.

The museum is very nice. They have lockers there for your stuff. Definitely take the bike. I even joined as a member for the times that I do ride up there. Many benefits for being a member. Consider it if you are planning on going more than once. I know on Sunday and Mondays they have 20% off for museum members and the rest of the week it is 10%. Gift shop is 10% off everyday.

Have fun. You will not regret going to the museum.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:54 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Not a long ride, but the OP's the best judge of his experience and skill levels on his bike.

Quick Reply: Museum