General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Montreal Trip

Old 08-31-2014, 03:52 PM
Glyder
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Montreal Trip

I want to ride up to Montreal in a couple weeks for a few days from the Jersey Shore.
Anything special I should know...helmet laws,pipes,etc.
Im takin my limited ,true duals with 4" Rhineharts and 555s. It rumbles pretty good but nothin crazy.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:44 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Yes, take a gps unless you speak French. Take a good toolkit, roads to and from can be really bad and anything not torqued down can come loose. Otherwise, have a good time!

Old 08-31-2014, 05:54 PM
Zeus55
Road Master
Received 113 Likes on 61 Posts

1.- No problem... 90% of QC peoples are bilingual;
2.- Roads ? Like everywhere in north america there is a lot of construction;
3.- Helmet ? Yes you need one;
4.- Pipes ? Normally not a problem, cops are normally flexible with tourists;
Welcome and enjoy your ride in Montreal!

Old 08-31-2014, 05:57 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,199 Likes on 3,168 Posts

I LOVE Montreal. Have a great trip.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:04 PM
mcouture
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I just got back from riding around Lake Ontario and took a quick overnight in Montreal before heading back home. I had no problems with pipes (mine aren't loud and I'm not a d*ck with them either). GPS is fine but as long as you know north,south,east,west in french you will be a'ok.

Everyone is bilingual so don't worry if you don't know french...

Old 08-31-2014, 07:05 PM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I've spent a lot of time over the years in the great white north and its just my experience and opinion...Montreal is a nice ride and city but Ottawa is a great, ride, and place to visit... It has history and culture but a little more modern feel then Montreal and a lot more friendly to Americans...Montreal? Yes most business "welcome" us to shop, buy their goods and services but the people barley tolerate their own countryman west of the Quebec boarder ...Yes a large percentage of people in Québec speak English...when and if they feel like it.... It's the other percentage that live to make life hard for tourists and yes there are enough to make life hard on you......You don't get that in Ontario at least I never have....I've found the roads a little better and easier to navigate and coming home through the Adirondacks is well worth the extra few miles you'll ride.... If you had the time I'd suggest Toronto...It's my personal favorite north of the Boarder but Ottawa is a close second..... Hey, I know I'm coming off as harsh here....I don't mean to be...Montreal is definitely worth going to and seeing once or even twice...I've just had way better experiences in Ottawa, Toronto, or even Niagara Falls....

Old 08-31-2014, 07:17 PM
Zeus55
Road Master
Received 113 Likes on 61 Posts

...yes Ottawa is also a great place to go... if you go to bed early (bars closes at 11h).

Last edited by Zeus55; 08-31-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:54 PM
Loonie
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus55
...yes Ottawa is also a great place to go... if you go to bed early (bars closes at 11h).
.........And the most beautiful chicks in Canada are in Quebec!

Old 08-31-2014, 11:37 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus55

Umm, no. The Ottawa bars close at 2am. A bit of advice for Montreal: keep a close eye on your Harley. That city is a notorious place for motorcycle theft. Otherwise, it's a lot of fun going downtown on a Saturday night. Crescent St, St. Catherine St., St. Laurent Ave. and St. Denis are the places to go for night partying.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:21 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I've been to Montreal several times. Beautiful city, great looking women, and they know how to party late into the night up there. Never had a problem with my bike, the police, or any outlaw gangs. Just remember to visit Schwartz's Deli. You haven't officially been to Montreal if you don't grab a bite to eat there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Montreal Trip