General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling goods here without paypal??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 10:21 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FredAndrews
usually people with bad credit or no bank account do not have paypal. I would stay away from anyone that doesn't have paypal
That doesn't make sense.

I'll use PayPal as a buyer, but I won't use it as a seller because they require access to your bank account, and no third party such a PayPal is EVER getting my bank account numbers.

I don't know what my credit rating is, good or bad, I have no idea and don't care. Haven't bought anything on credit in years. It's easier to pay cash for cars, bikes, whatever...

Last edited by Fishrrman; 09-01-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:32 AM
06SGWA
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Fred, assuming that someone has poor credit because he or she chooses to not use paypal is pretty ignorant.

Thanks for all the input guys. I do understand the safety net that paypal offers buyers but I'm sticking to my guns on that one. I too wouldn't feel comfortable sending a check to a stranger for some saddlebags or big ticket items, so I think I will pile the stuff up in the garage with my other crap and maybe hit a swap meet one of these days.

Last edited by 06SGWA; 09-02-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:25 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

What protection does the buyer have if he uses a check or postal money order? The fraud statement is silly. If I trust someone to send me something and send him the money, I consider him to be my friend. If he took my money and never sent it, then sure, he was not and that would end that.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:20 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 06SGWA
I am pulling parts off my new 14 SG and was thinking of selling some of them instead of letting them take up space. I gave up ebay and paypal several years ago and was thinking about offering the take-off stuff in the classifieds here.
My question is, is there an alternative to paypal that is safe? Thanks.
I'd try the next big city craigs list. for 14 parts like saddlebags, people will drive a ways to get them if they need them. Not so much for stock mufflers etc.

Postal MO's would be the alternative.

Don't assume that anyone that doesn't have paypal is a deadbeat as was suggested. Some people just don't have any need for it or don't want yet another company having their account info to be stolen.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:02 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint

Don't assume that anyone that doesn't have paypal is a deadbeat as was suggested. Some people just don't have any need for it or don't want yet another company having their account info to be stolen.
Funny, speaking of accounts - I've had PayPal for about 12 years. My account info has always been safe. Now, the IRS, cable company, and VA? Those are the incompetent Bastards that I don't trust. LOL!

Old 09-02-2014, 09:04 AM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
I'd try the next big city craigs list. for 14 parts like saddlebags, people will drive a ways to get them if they need them. Not so much for stock mufflers etc.

Postal MO's would be the alternative.

You will get allot of people wanting to send you checks from craig's list. And they will make an error and send you 500 to much. So just wire them back the 500, and send the item. Reason I gave up on CL. I had more of those deals than I can count. Not to mention the MO or check is bad to start with. Complete waste of my time.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:30 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishrrman
That doesn't make sense.

I'll use PayPal as a buyer, but I won't use it as a seller because they require access to your bank account, and no third party such a PayPal is EVER getting my bank account numbers.

I don't know what my credit rating is, good or bad, I have no idea and don't care. Haven't bought anything on credit in years. It's easier to pay cash for cars, bikes, whatever...
Now thats what doesn't make sense. As a buyer how do you pay through paypal? You either need to give them a CC number or your banking account number, yet as a seller you won't use them for requiring the same info?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:04 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishrrman
That doesn't make sense.

So you always pay cash in restaurants?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:11 AM
sjef
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FredAndrews
usually people with bad credit or no bank account do not have paypal. I would stay away from anyone that doesn't have paypal

The dumbest post I've ever seen on here, they don't do a credit check to get a paypal acct. Any low life white trash piece of crap is eligible.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by sjef
The dumbest post I've ever seen on here, they don't do a credit check to get a paypal acct. Any low life white trash piece of crap is eligible.
One clarification - any lowlife with a checking account or valid credit card. The credit card company does the credit check. Either he/she has the cash or credit and can transact or he she/cannont, Paypal doesnt enable fraud, really.

So its pretty simple: dont ship anything until you receive payment via paypal. Ergo no fraud.

Quick Reply: Selling goods here without paypal??