General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traveling to Hawaii next week, want to rent a bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 04:48 PM
crazymjb
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traveling to Hawaii next week, want to rent a bike

Hi guys. My normal bike is a 1998 FXSTC and my wife has a 2007 XL1200c, and we are traveling to Hawaii for our belated honeymoon next week. We decided we wanted to rent a bike while on Maui for 1 or 2 days. We are staying at Royal Lahaina resport and EagleRider seems to have a pick up place down the street.

We are looking to rent 1 bike and spend a full day and do this loop and then some Since we will be leaving from Lahaina:
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/11...Maui-Loop.html
Since we will be leaving from Lahaina.

The biggest bike I've ridden was an Indian Chief Vintage and I didn't have any issue. I can't imagine I'll have a problem with an electraglide. She hasn't ridden very much and I have basically used my bike to commute, having never done an all day ride. I imagine this bike will be perfect for it, but I was hoping for any advice regarding bike rentals and our planned ride.

Any input regarding bike, route, rental agency, etc would be great. Any discount knowledge would also be appreciated. We figure we can probably get something small for military.

Mike

Old 09-01-2014, 07:16 PM
rspiteri
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't help you with the bike, but the ride is awesome. I have done it twice, both times in a car, the last was 8 years ago when my son was 12. Now that he rides, we keep talking about going back. The road to Hana is incredible with over 600 turns. Take it slow and enjoy the ride, it is well worth it. Plan on all day and it will be a long day, many places to stop and enjoy the incredible views. The western loop is also a good ride, not as long, but still a nice ride. Also a nice ride up to Haleakala crater( over 11,000 feet up). It looks like you are on another planet when you look down into the crater. You are way above the tree line, with spectacular views looking down on the clouds. Be prepared for the temperature change as the shore can be 85 degrees and the top can be 40 degrees.Bring a jacket. Maui is an incredible island. Enjoy it.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:41 AM
fissco1234
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rspiteri
I can't help you with the bike, but the ride is awesome. I have done it twice, both times in a car, the last was 8 years ago when my son was 12. Now that he rides, we keep talking about going back. The road to Hana is incredible with over 600 turns. Take it slow and enjoy the ride, it is well worth it. Plan on all day and it will be a long day, many places to stop and enjoy the incredible views. The western loop is also a good ride, not as long, but still a nice ride. Also a nice ride up to Haleakala crater( over 11,000 feet up). It looks like you are on another planet when you look down into the crater. You are way above the tree line, with spectacular views looking down on the clouds. Be prepared for the temperature change as the shore can be 85 degrees and the top can be 40 degrees.Bring a jacket. Maui is an incredible island. Enjoy it.
A jacket? Ha! Haleakale crater is one of the most amazing places I have ever visited. We took every blanket from the condo, drove up in a ragtop jeep and watched the sunrise, rode horses to the bottom of the crater and back to the top. Froze our butts the whole way and would do it again in a heartbeat. Buy and underwater camera. Even if you aren't into snorkeling, the fish that swim around your feet in chest deep water can't be described accurately. I realized when I was there that I may not know exactly where heaven is, but I think it may be in that part of the world!

Old 09-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is going to be one helluva long day. The road to Hana seems short but takes forever, cars go about 15 miles an hour as they are all tourists in rental cars. You may wanna do it in two days, I totally would. Stay in Hana for the night it is totally awesome and well worth it. Maui is one of our fav vacay spots.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:37 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
.......The road to Hana seems short but takes forever,
..... well worth the time it takes though.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:38 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

The road to Hana is amazing, but it will take a long time, and you do not want to be in a hurry. Take it easy, enjoy.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:31 AM
fissco1234
Road Master

The north route isn't bad either, I would go counterclockwise from west to east, as it gives you better vantage points of oncoming traffic on the narrow roads

Old 09-02-2014, 05:18 PM
reefrider
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Op, We rented from Eagle rider in Lahaina 5 years ago. Just the wife and I on a street glide. Good folks no problems. As others have said the riding is great. Take your time and have fun.
RR

Old 09-02-2014, 09:37 PM
geezerglide007
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maui is the best, and cruising the whole island is doable and an experience that will stay with you forever! The first time I did it there wasn't a Harley dealer on the island, now there's a nice dealer just down the street from the airport. There are lots of rental places everywhere you look, if Eaglerider doesn't have the bike you want some of the others will. The nice thing is most of the rentals you will get, already have exhaust or stage 1 upgrades. I once rented a bike and put 430 miles on it in 24 hours, on Maui that's a lot of riding!

Old 09-02-2014, 10:23 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior

Crazy Mjb,

Hope you enjoy the island it is a wonderful place. I went on my honeymoon there as well, 16 plus years ago. I live on Oahu but I enjoyed Maui very much the 3 or 4 times I have been there. I haven't been there in years but I remember it very well. It's wonderful.

My opinion... If I were you, I would avoid the road to Hana. In my opinion it is a colossal waste of time. At least it was for me. I did it once and I have never/will never do it again. Takes so long and I have no patience. If you have limited time you may want to consider the time it takes to travel. Of course YMMV

I get to see Hawaii every day so perhaps my opinion is skewed as a result.

I would spend my time doing other things already suggested, going up to Haleakalā is awesome, do it for the sunrise and you will be blown away. Check out the beaches, go to Lahaina for lunch etc...Go whale watching etc...

Have a great honeymoon. If you were coming to Oahu I would give you the free tour on bikes.

Cheers,

Tom

Quick Reply: Traveling to Hawaii next week, want to rent a bike