General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do these temperatures sound?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:19 PM
wvedec
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How do these temperatures sound?

I have just about completed the mods on my 2012 Harley Heritage Softail Classic. I was hoping to cool the bike down from the lean stock setup. I installed the following:

1) a FL-XIED-10 fuel enricher.
2) a K & N high flow filter (same shape as stock)
3) a Rush 3" slash cut slip-on exhaust with 1 3/4 inch baffles
4) a Vance and Hines FuelPak 3 fuel management device - I flashed the map for 3" V&H slip-ons with standard baffle (the closest fit I could find for my exhaust).

The V&H FP3 has a sensor function that let's you view various data, including engine temp. Here is what I got at 93 F outdoor temperature on a summer day.

260-265 F engine temp at 70 mph
386 F after riding for 20 minutes and letting the bike idle for 15 minutes

The engine oil temp (measured with a candy thermometer in the oil filler neck) after turning the bike off was 225 F.

Do these temps seem about right or are they excessive?

Thanks,
Wayne

Old 09-02-2014, 02:30 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You let your bike idle for FIFTEEN MINUTES?????? and after a 20 minute ride, you must be crazy.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:37 PM
wvedec
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default oops

I guess I did not realize that the bike is so delicate. I was trying to simulate "parade mode".

Wayne

Old 09-02-2014, 02:57 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,096 Posts

225 is good for the oil temp. that's about what mine is after riding on a hot, florida day

Old 09-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by wvedec
...260-265 F engine temp at 70 mph
386 F after riding for 20 minutes and letting the bike idle for 15 minutes

The engine oil temp (measured with a candy thermometer in the oil filler neck) after turning the bike off was 225 F.

Do these temps seem about right or are they excessive?...
The 70 mph temps sound a bit high. I use to live in Atlanta and would do data runs (during the summer) that also measured engine temp. Your stated temps are about 20 to 25 degrees hotter than what I saw on my 2012 Ultra.

The idle temps? Well, I'm not sure because I never let mine idle that long.

But for what it's worth, Harley has (or had anyway up until a couple years ago) a test facility at the Talladega Superspeedway in Alabama and would run their bikes lap after lap. Then, with the bikes idling, place them in a small enclosure (four metal sides but no roof) and let them idle until they ran out of gas.

While I wouldn't necessarily do that to my own machine, those Talladega guys would punish a bike far beyond what most reasonably sane riders might try...then take them out and beat on them some more.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Zeus55
Road Master
Received 113 Likes on 61 Posts

An engine oil will boil somewhere around 500 F, so you are far from problems!
Keep it simple and enjoy riding!

Old 09-02-2014, 03:10 PM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my engine temp at 70mph constant it's around 247°F. When idling the temp skyrocket up quickly, but I turn my FCS on when I hit 300° (measured with powervision); 386° would start having me wanting to turn the bike off or up to 70mph to cool it down .
225°F oil seems very cool for an FI bike, especially in such a hot day. I can only get that in winter, in summer after a ride and a bit of stop and go trafffic I struggle to have the oil below 250°F. Which isn't a problem since I ride a good synthetic (Amsoil).

I don't understand why you'd keep the Xied with a fuelpack though....

Old 09-02-2014, 03:14 PM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
But for what it's worth, Harley has (or had anyway up until a couple years ago) a test facility at the Talladega Superspeedway in Alabama and would run their bikes lap after lap. Then, with the bikes idling, place them in a small enclosure (four metal sides but no roof) and let them idle until they ran out of gas.

While I wouldn't necessarily do that to my own machine, those Talladega guys would punish a bike far beyond what most reasonably sane riders might try...then take them out and beat on them some more.
The bike would survive, ok. The real question is, will it survive to become a 100,000 miles bike after such a beating?

Old 09-02-2014, 03:31 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for what it's worth, it says in the manual of my 'other' bike, not to let it idle for more than 10 minutes or severe engine damage may occur, and that is liquid cooled. It has certainly been hot, as I went through London the other day and there is no room to filter a bike that size through the London streets, and the first thing to suffer heat damage is valve springs, and it now has a sticky exhaust valve. Go figure.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's an air cooled motor. Not much you can do about the temperature outside of what you already did. Playing around with the air/fuel mixture. That's about it.

I shut my bike off when sitting at a draw bridge or anything more than a stop light. Sitting still idling isn't parade mode. any movement that circulates the air across the engine fins is beneficial. The speed of the air moving across the motor makes no difference. So as long as the hot air is being moved from in between the fins and replaced with cooler air. The fins act just like a radiator. Sitting still and idling, unless in a cool steady breeze, is a no-no in my book. I shut the motor off.

Quick Reply: How do these temperatures sound?