General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in 2nd ...Any one local to flagstaff az?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:29 PM
ekim189
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck in 2nd ...Any one local to flagstaff az?

The rear shift lever is stripped on the inner transmission spline shaft and I'm currently stuck in 2nd gear. (Long way back to Georgia driving the Sammy Hagar way!!) Harley wants near a grand to replace this shift lever. I am fairly certain the primary will have to come off first. Anyone local ever done this job want some cash to talk me through it?

Dean
Ekim189@yahoo.com
02 FLHTPI

Old 09-02-2014, 08:57 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Wish I was close to you but Bay Area Kali is a long ways off. Hopefully someone will chime in for an assist.

Question for ya...you say "rear shift over" as in heel-toe shifter? If so, what about using a dremel to cut that rear lever off to free up gearing. Then just ride it back to Georgia with just the toe lever.

Used to be the heel-toe set up was an accessory and not a standard feature. Only takes moving the toe lever up so you can get whatever shoes you are wearing under the lever so you can shift up.

And if I am not reading this correctly, please tell what us you are riding. Maybe someone can find a way to clear up the problem to free the shifter for you.

Last edited by panz4ever; 09-02-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:10 PM
FredAndrews
Tourer

Sounds like you need to get the inner shifter out of the way. (I think)

-You can cut it off the inner
-You can take the outer off, take the inner off and put the outer back on.
-If everything else has failed take them both off and use a pair of vice grips as a shifter - I've seen this done many times when splines strip, and it works pretty well.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:13 PM
propflux01
Road Master

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

Since your already dead on the road, try this: remove the bolt holding the shaft lever on. remove the washer. reinstall the bolt without the washer. Crank it down tight. see if that will get you back on the road until you get home. Has worked for me a couple times.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:34 PM
deucegray
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done what Was suggested by propflux except taken bolt out and replaced with grade 8 .And tightened up real tight. Work really well,almost left it like that.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

You might want to look into this

http://betterlever.com/

Here's a video on the install

Last edited by Ragtop; 09-02-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:16 PM
ekim189
Novice
Default Lever behind primary

So this might be a really bad photo( done on a smart phone in the dark) but the lever that this pic is taken from is behind the primary. I think you can see the gap in the lever arm and tranny housing. You can also see its covèred with oil.

Attached Thumbnails Stuck in 2nd ...Any one local to flagstaff az?-image.jpg  
Old 09-02-2014, 11:23 PM
ekim189
Novice
Default Top of lever arm.

A better pic of the top of the lever arm seen with linkage going forward (left in pic) the lever spins and comes loose on the shaft coming out of the transmission. This is an 02 flhtpi.

Attached Thumbnails Stuck in 2nd ...Any one local to flagstaff az?-image.jpg  
Old 09-02-2014, 11:57 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

The shift lever (pictured) is aluminum and the splines have been worn down, as you mentioned. I recently replaced one on a friend of mine's Road Glide. The outer and inner primaries need to be removed, along with the primary drive and clutch basket. If you are on the road, you do not have the tools to do the job, that's for sure. I have all the tools in my garage and it took me about 3 hours to do the job, and I am just a "garage mechanic." A $1,000 to do the job is a rip off, as a good mechanic should be able to do the job in a couple of hours. Find a good indy where you are, and the price should be a lot less. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I'm on the Central Coast of California.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:03 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

The inner primary does have to come off. I take it you already tried to tighten it? There is a local indy shop there in Flagstaff called Mike's Bikes, 3122 E. Route 66 FLAGSTAFF, AZ 86004.(928) 600-3508. They just became a Baker dealer last year so I don't know much about Mike but he seemed like a good guy. I can send him out one of our stainless steel shift levers so it doesn't happen again.

Quick Reply: Stuck in 2nd ...Any one local to flagstaff az?