General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I guess next time I will just do my own service

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 04:31 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Well, I guess next time I will just do my own service

I had my 10k service done at the dealer. Yes, I know, I got taken for a ride, etc. But I'd rather spend a weekend day with my family, than in the garage.

Still, I always check over the bike to see what odds and ends they did half arsed.

Sure nuff, found a few things done lazily. Most annoying was they apparently took my slip ons off to get to my rear brakes and change the pads. (Fine by me, I needed new pads)

But they didn't tighten the slip ons enough, and I was decel popping until I tightened them myself.

No big deal. But still, seems like a little attention to detail would be nice. If I didn't know that loose slip ons was a source of decel popping, I would have wondered why my bike was farting all of a sudden and ended up taking it back.

Seems like they are just asking for headaches and less than satisfied customers by not doing it right the first time.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 09-03-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:47 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

But look at the money you'll save doing it yourself. And anything that's messed up, you can only blame #1.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:59 PM
m6zero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You save a lot doing it yourself, that's for sure. I quit taking my bikes to the dealership because of the half *** nature of their services. If they weren't forgetting to tighten the oil cap or locking my bike up overnight and not telling me, they were destroying the custom paint with a breaker bar while replacing the back tire.

It may take a day of doing it yourself, but it only happens so often and you get a peace of mind knowing nothing was half assed. My two cents.

Edit: This never happened to my SGS, this happened to my other bikes. Maybe it's a non-Harley thing?

Last edited by m6zero; 09-03-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:05 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

The more you do it the better and quicker you get at it.
It's my intention to get to know every nut and bolt on my bike, until I can take it apart and put it together in my sleep.

The advantage?
I installed a set of cams in my bike for less than $350.00

Old 09-03-2014, 05:13 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,137 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave13
The more you do it the better and quicker you get at it.
That's EXACTLY it. Doesn't take "a day in the garage" to do brakes and oil change. Some slower people make take a whole day doing something the first time, but once you do it once...quicker the next time..and then even quicker the next time...etc etc.

Pretty soon you're changing your oil and brake pads in less time than it takes you to ride the sled down the stealership...so...uh....what exactly is the time savings? And get better oil, and get better quality brake pads..for less money. I'd RATHER spend time with the family, and save money too..and know it was done right (cuz I did it!)

Old 09-03-2014, 08:23 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Hey SoCal, not wanting to get on ya but if this was meaning your bike now had 10,000 miles on it and your putting on rear brake pads on, there is something wrong. Either you have a caliber hanging up back there or your using the rear brake far more than you should be. Most of your effective braking should be done with your fronts. On my 2010 Ultra, I had between 65,000 and 70,000 miles on it when I put my first set of rears on. Of course I put a ton of road miles on but still, 10,000 is way too early for pads.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:54 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master

Working on my bike is my therapy . I built a nice small(28x32) shop just to have a place to be . I change my oil it does take me better part of half a day but I do enjoy every minute . I care less how fast or slow I am just doing what I love is enough .

Old 09-03-2014, 08:57 PM
05flhtbob
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10,652 Likes on 1,731 Posts

you will save a ton of $ doing the service work yourself and I would bet you didn't need those brake pads too

Old 09-03-2014, 09:06 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Actually I think every shop has an ACE wrench.. but for sure not all of the wrench's are...

Until you know who is the best at your dealership or INDY and DEMAND only he/they work on your bike (WHAT I did) you can and most likely will get Sub-par work. (As I did on my 1k)...

My first service was Chit and I found two scratches on my new bike 4 days after I brought her home --- (too late to say where they where done at) according to them.

There are times we need to take you bike in (Wither the dealer or an INDY))) YOU have to trust them which every you choose...

Old 09-03-2014, 10:05 PM
ibfree2855
Tourer

Got my street glide back from the Stealer once and the only thing holding my outer fairing in place was the three windshield screws connected to the fairing. ALL four main fairing screws were missing. How do you explain that?

Quick Reply: Well, I guess next time I will just do my own service