General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy...need education/faceslap

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 10:36 PM
CagerConvert
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy...need education/faceslap

I apologize now for the length but I guess this will double as my Introduction post.

So here I am at 30 years old facing a rather monumental life change soon and looking to make it bigger. I've been, as my name suggests, a Cager all my life; never even ridden a dirt bike (though an avid cyclist in my younger days). Up until now I've denied myself even the POSSIBILITY of learning to ride given my propensity for having a heavy foot and enjoying four wheeled shenanigans. That said, I'm wondering if it's stupid to NOT consider an alternative to my (current) plan to load up my Suburban and wander the country (it's large enough for minimalist storage and sleeping). The downside to that, of course, is long term reliability and horrendous gas mileage (10-15mpg I think). I think my goal here is becoming more clear....may be cliche but picture Easy Rider with more ****.

I attempted to research the HD site and did a few "builds" but nothing quite HOOKED me aside from the Iron883. Basically I know what I'd LIKE out of a bike, but how that translates to reality I don't know. So with the presumption that I will learn to ride with my usual intensity when something new is presented, where should I be focusing in terms of platform given a few criteria:

-The MOST possible "storage" - think excessive then add more, I don't even know what THOSE options are aside from saddle bags and one behind the seat
-Small (I'm not a big guy, nor do I think I need alot of power as yet). My ideal CAR is tiny...Miata, Lotus, etc...so equally nimble bikes draw me
-Fuel efficient

Flame suit on.

"X"

Old 09-03-2014, 10:52 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are planning to wander the country loaded down with "****", don't buy an Iron 883 or any other sportster for that matter. Think touring bike......

Old 09-03-2014, 10:57 PM
zZeduardoZz
Cruiser

At least a Dyna...

Old 09-03-2014, 11:06 PM
CagerConvert
Stage IV

Hmm I like the Dyna...kind of a mix of Touring and Sportster? I like the Fat Bob...$20k for a '14. Is that too "much" bike for a new rider? I've always heard that smaller is better when learning.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:08 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,315 Likes on 2,199 Posts

He's never even ridden a dirtbike, I don't think a big touring bike is for him.

OP, welcome to the forum. At least take the motorcycle safety course and then get a cheap bike and see if you even like riding.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:18 PM
CagerConvert
Stage IV

Good advice, DGD, and certainly the plan once I'm free of a certain bit of baggage. Would like to LEARN before doing all that though....

Old 09-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Despite your preference of nimble, small sportscars, a Sportster is an even worse choice.

Get something with wind protection, a bigger tank, music if you're inclined, good torque, cruise control, gauges, bags, etc.

Some will post how they tour on Sportys and blah blah blah. Masochists who had better choices is who they are.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:32 PM
Bayoudude
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my .02. Like someone said earlier, take the riding course and then by a cheap bike, say a rebel or a shadow. Don't drop 20k on your first bike because WHEN you drop it, you will be even more upset (don't ask me how I know). Let the small, cheap bike take the lumps then decide it you really want to spend the money on a HD. Let me say I am biased. I have only ridden Harley's and I only have the desire to ride them. There are other bikes out there that may be suited for your type of riding. Only you can decide that. I know HD used to have a deal on sportster's that if you trade them in you get full retail or something like that. I am not sure if I am correct about this but it seems I heard that somewhere. Who knows it may have been the voices in my head that told me that. Good luck

Old 09-03-2014, 11:35 PM
CagerConvert
Stage IV

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep reading but I guess the plan is learn quick, buy cheap and assess in a few years what the "need" actually is.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bayoudude
Just my .02. Like someone said earlier, take the riding course and then by a cheap bike, say a rebel or a shadow. Don't drop 20k on your first bike because WHEN you drop it, you will be even more upset (don't ask me how I know). Let the small, cheap bike take the lumps then decide it you really want to spend the money on a HD. Let me say I am biased. I have only ridden Harley's and I only have the desire to ride them. There are other bikes out there that may be suited for your type of riding. Only you can decide that. I know HD used to have a deal on sportster's that if you trade them in you get full retail or something like that. I am not sure if I am correct about this but it seems I heard that somewhere. Who knows it may have been the voices in my head that told me that. Good luck
Did you just tell him to get a Rebel? LOL

In my opinion, if you are a full grown man and you don't have the sense to exercise caution and safely learn to ride an 883 sportster then you should stay away from motorcycles. Despite popular opinion, not everybody dumps their first bike. Just take it slow....practice....and take an MSF course. You'll be fine......and please don't buy a god damned Honda Rebel....hahahaha. I damn near **** myself laughing when I see a guy looking like a circus bear riding one of those things.

Quick Reply: New Guy...need education/faceslap