General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new guy to incliment weather riding

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 01:18 PM
kustom78
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new guy to incliment weather riding

A month ago 5 of use decided to book a cabin in Greer AZ. Without thinking of weather, well this Sat morning is the day and its calling for 80% chance of rain and 70% for Sunday with a chance of heavy downfall. Ive only ridden in rain once for about 10 min. What i learned was rain gear and a full face would have been nice! Last weekend me and the wife bought harley rain suits and we've had the full face's for years. in those 2 areas i feel set but is there anything else or riding advice i should know? its going to be interesting to see if the new fairing vent holds out the water.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:34 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Because of oil and such, roads are most dangerous the first few minutes of a rain storm, especially if it hasn't rained in awhile. Take caution during this time and allow it to rain for awhile before venturing off into it. Also take caution with markers and reflectors attached to the road, you know, the little bump things that are sometimes used to mark lanes. These are very slippery when wet. Stay back from other traffic more than normal, pay attention, brake sooner, and don't make any sudden stops. Otherwise, be alert more than normal and take it easy.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,923 Likes on 2,565 Posts

no sudden downshifts!!!

rain boot covers are a nice compliment to the rain suit

don't clean your bike until after the trip

Old 09-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Bones77
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it's tenser. So you have to be more conscious of staying relaxed. Visibility sucks. So that means "they" aren't seeing you even more.

Slow down and everything needs to be smoother. Clutch, throttle, brakes....... all smooootttthhhhh. Braking is critical. Good technique and give yourself plenty of room.

Pick your lane location wisely as well. Want to stay out of the puddles that form in depressions. Also, intersections and paint are much more slippery. Oil and grease build up at intersections will pucker your rear in a hurry.

You'll also fatigue faster. So breaks are important. Lastly, when its raining I really could care less about what others are doing. I ride where I'm comfortable and feel I'm within my abilities.

Bones

Old 09-04-2014, 01:44 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

With rain gear & FF helmets, IMO, you've won most of the battle. Don't forget to waterproof your boots. Other than that, it's just common sense. Take it easy, allow extra stopping distance, especially if you don't have ABS etc., etc. Watch for painted areas on streets & parking lots - they get really slick when wet. If you'll be going through any toll booths, be careful when you stop & put your feet down. Those areas are notoriously oil covered and rain water just makes them worse. Some guys are so worried about rain, that they end up psyching themselves out and creating more problems for themselves. Just stay relaxed, but attentive and enjoy the ride!

Old 09-04-2014, 01:56 PM
caedenspa
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

In addition to Harleys, I ride adventure bikes. We don't stop just cuz it's raining. So, with that said, a few things I've learned... the hard way!

Don't put your foot down on painted surfaces (road lines, stopping lines, etc). It will slip. Ask me how I know.

If a parking lot has been recently sealcoated (like within the past 4 or so months) it will be like greased glass when it's wet. No sudden moves on wet sealcoat.

Wipe your shield with Rain-X for improved visibility. Take extra with you and reapply every few hours.

Take frequent breaks to dry out, or to at least refresh. Wet weather will make you tired far more quickly.

An extra pair of gloves for day 2.

If your boots get wet, buy a newspaper and jam wads of newspaper into them over night. Nothing more miserable than putting on wet boots the second day.

Reduce your lean angles by about 25% in turns.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little pledge on the outside of face shield will shed water pretty well, you can put it on your windshield also. A little anti-fog wipe on inside of face shield will help because you will be steaming it up. Tilt it up just so you can look out under it and rain will run up off your shield.

Go slower leave room you will be ok, bikes go thru water pretty well considering and presuming your tires are good. Everything is slick at stop signs etc. So be wary when putting feet down you may not have the grip you expect.

Put your wet suit hood under your helmet not over it that will keep the water from goin down your neck because you can zip it tighter under your chin.

I've seen many riders flip their hoods over their helmets in a hurry. Its no fun to have cold water running down your neck and having wet clothes from then on. hth

I second the HD rain boots or gaiters as they call them. I wear mine over the top of my wet suit lowers saves burning the rt wet suit leg on the pipes works for me.

Last edited by Car Doc; 09-04-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:04 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Smooth on the gas, smooth on the brakes, smooth in the turns, think a head; relax, breath. Modern tires do quite well in the rain, watch for tar-snakes though some are slippery some are not. I've rode 191 top to bottom more than once and one time in the rain it's not bad even in the rain. Remember relax, find your rhythm; I call it getting into the zone and enjoy.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:23 PM
TheRooster
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you don't ride like a dipshit normally, then ride normally.

No tailgating, ride like you have common sense. I ride in rain pretty much whenever we get it around here in MD. I'm not sure why it's some BFD for people.

Ride as you normally would, as long as the way you normally ride isn't like a douche with his pubic hair on fire.

The only caveat is beware for the first 5 minutes of downpour or about 15 of light rain; then the oil is coming to the surface and covering the road surface. Other than that, no biggie.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

As mentioned by Bones, the fatigue factor increases for me. Dont be too proud to take extended stops.

The painted stripes ie yellow single/doubles can get slick.

Waterproof gloves are a must too.

Quick Reply: new guy to incliment weather riding