General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R.I.P. 2 crashes 2 deaths 1 week

Old 09-05-2014, 09:11 AM
adamsj00
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R.I.P. 2 crashes 2 deaths 1 week

First I would like to say I have a heavy heart for those that lost loved ones this week and may they R.I.P.

It started Friday past with a 49yr old male rider and his 55yr old female passenger on a Harley. Just 1 mile from my house an express van (people that saw the van told me UPS truck) crossed the center line and struck the motorcycle killing the female passenger. Male rider in stable condition, van driver not injured.

Yesterday around 6pm a male rider on a Harley headed to local bike night was ran over by an SUV who apparently failed to stop at stop sign. Rider was killed on impact. Crash happened 9 miles from my house.

Both times I received phone calls from concerned friends as to my whereabouts because I am a new again rider this year 2600 miles to date and just a week ago started taking my GF on rides with me (she loves it). My GF and I have discussed these accidents and send prayers to the families and friends. We have decided that we will continue to ride without fear and enjoy the freedom riding allows us. We do wear helmets and boots, drive the speed limit give or take 10mph, allow time and space between vehicles, and ride defensively. There are no guarantees, drive safe, NoRegrets.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:25 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I was involved in a motorcycle accident a few months ago. The doctor says that I'm lucky to be alive. It doesn't dissuade me from riding though. But I've learned that I need to continue to wear the proper PPE while riding. If that doesn't make me cool, I don't really care. My helmet was one of the things that saved my life and allowed me to ride another day...RIP for all those involved.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Too busy living to give it the time of day. Nothing to say except, "Well,Bye!"

Old 09-05-2014, 10:05 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

they say most accidents happen within 25 miles from home ..
I would move at least 50 miles away

Old 09-05-2014, 10:08 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 248 Posts

On average twelve people die in motorcycle crashes everyday in the U.S. and the same number of people die every day while walking down the street. Nine people die in backyard swimming pools. There are no guarantees about anything.

Last edited by dribble; 09-05-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:09 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsj00
First I would like to say I have a heavy heart for those that lost loved ones this week and may they R.I.P.

It started Friday past with a 49yr old male rider and his 55yr old female passenger on a Harley. Just 1 mile from my house an express van (people that saw the van told me UPS truck) crossed the center line and struck the motorcycle killing the female passenger. Male rider in stable condition, van driver not injured.

Yesterday around 6pm a male rider on a Harley headed to local bike night was ran over by an SUV who apparently failed to stop at stop sign. Rider was killed on impact. Crash happened 9 miles from my house.

Both times I received phone calls from concerned friends as to my whereabouts because I am a new again rider this year 2600 miles to date and just a week ago started taking my GF on rides with me (she loves it). My GF and I have discussed these accidents and send prayers to the families and friends. We have decided that we will continue to ride without fear and enjoy the freedom riding allows us. We do wear helmets and boots, drive the speed limit give or take 10mph, allow time and space between vehicles, and ride defensively. There are no guarantees, drive safe, NoRegrets.
I'm not trying to be too insensitive, but this is just the same **** on a different day. As riders, we all have to understand and accept the risks involved. Quite frankly, MANY of these deaths could be avoided by simply riding smart and under the assumption that everyone is trying to kill you. I've had 3 riding acquaintances killed in the last 3 years and all of them were their own fault - either not paying attention, being too trusting, assuming that cages always see & respect you, OR just doing stupid ****. If you ride like an *******, expect to die like an *******.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, I'm tired of hearing about it. "Oh, the poor poor motorcycle was murdered by the car for no apparent reason."

People who ride cruisers are some of the worst driver/riders on the road. Go ahead and congratulate another newbie when he buys his full dresser with touch screen radio and nav.

In my opinion, if someone gets hit by a car it was their own fault. They are the ones who did something wrong, not the car. People need to stop blaming other people for their shortcomings and accept responsibility.

Aint getting no sympathy from me. I hate people who allow themselves to get hit by cars. They make us all look bad!

Last edited by Thumper09; 09-05-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:37 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper09
People who ride cruisers are some of the worst driver/riders on the road.
Easy there, big boy. The 3 ******** that I know who were killed as a result of their own stupidity were riding:
1) sport bike/crotch rocket
2) Dyne wide glide
3) mid 90's Fat Boy

Stereotyping is never a good thing.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:49 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Same results possibly had they also been in a car. Motorcycle has nothing to do with it. At least one of the two scenarios should have been avoided.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:53 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper09
Yep, I'm tired of hearing about it. "Oh, the poor poor motorcycle was murdered by the car for no apparent reason."

People who ride cruisers are some of the worst driver/riders on the road. Go ahead and congratulate another newbie when he buys his full dresser with touch screen radio and nav.

In my opinion, if someone gets hit by a car it was their own fault. They are the ones who did something wrong, not the car. People need to stop blaming other people for their shortcomings and accept responsibility.

Aint getting no sympathy from me. I hate people who allow themselves to get hit by cars. They make us all look bad!
Are you kidding?

I bet that if there were stats for bikers/motorcyclist killed in accidents you would easily find that the majority by percentage would be sport bike riders.
Most of the riders I've seen on these bikes show a complete disregard for safety when they ride and the gear they use tells me that they expect to crash.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R.I.P. 2 crashes 2 deaths 1 week