General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Stalls while clutch is in coming to a stop

Old 09-05-2014, 04:49 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine Stalls while clutch is in coming to a stop

I wanted to post about an issue i had with my HD 2007 RKC during a 1200 mile trip. It was 600 miles each way to a destination camp out.

At about mile 300 (90% I-5 interstate riding) or so my engine started to stall out every time I would be coming to a stop. Nothing dramatic just complete silence, power to the bike for lights or turn signals were operational just no engine functionality. I would have to cost to the side of the road and restart it. It got progressively worse. I would have to keep the throttle engaged slightly to keep it running. It was seriously frustrating. I was concerned it might stall while in the middle of changing gears, however it was only when down shifting while coming to a stop with clutch engaged. I was a long trip back. It unfortunately took away from joy of riding because if was constantly in the back of my mind.

After returning home the next day i took it for a spin to see if it would return sure enough after a short time it started happening again. I did notice that if i got the bike into neutral it would be ok.

Did some research and found someone with the exact issue (google pointed me to an HDforum thread ). The Cylinder Head Temp Sensor failure. It is located in the back of the front head just behind the horn.

The part is only $37 and its an easy swap out. I had to remove the horn and to fit the 3/4 deep socket i ended up just moving the gas line out of the way. My shop manual gave me steps to ensure safety and easy removal.

Anyways i wanted to throw this out there because i could have ended up with some pricey diagnostic test from the dealer and also its such a simple job its not with $250 in labor to have someone else do it.

Pic attached shows the Temp Sensor.

Attached Thumbnails Engine Stalls while clutch is in coming to a stop-tempsensor.jpg  
Old 09-05-2014, 05:16 PM
albertasaurus
Road Master
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the information! I experience the same thing after a 30 minute or more ride. It seems to happen when the engine speed remains constant (highway riding), when I come to a stop. The engine just seems to idle really slow then quit. I've gotten into the habit of downshifting into 2nd, pulling in the clutch to see if it stalls, and if it stalls, then either hit the starter or release the clutch to get it going again. Once it re-starts, it doesn't stall for a while.

I will replace the temperature sensor and see what happens. Thanks again.

Al

Old 09-05-2014, 05:41 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,042 Likes on 11,062 Posts

Is the temp sensor part the cylinder deactivation when the bike gets hot?

Old 09-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

It should have thrown a code. I have replaced this on two club bikes in the past year. Same symptoms.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:55 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
It should have thrown a code. I have replaced this on two club bikes in the past year. Same symptoms.
I checked the codes and didn't see any but maybe i missed it. It was crazy for me intially because the bike just straight up died. I am just glad it was simple fix.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:03 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by upflying
Is the temp sensor part the cylinder deactivation when the bike gets hot?
Not sure but i found the following:

Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) available, beginning with certain 2007 models. At idle, when the engine reaches a certain temperature, EITMS shuts off fuel to the rear cylinder, leaving it to idle only on the front cylinder, thus cooling off the rear. To improve heat dissipation, cylinder-cooling fins on the Twin Cam engines are wider than on the Evolution engine.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:10 AM
6speed51
Road Captain
Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 2006 FLHRI, the Throttle Position Sensor was bad. I replaced it and no problems.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:13 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

This is a good thread and I am glad I read it. Thanks for posting.