General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Juggerpops
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmancuso

If that vehicle is moving where vehicles are not supposed to be moving, then who's fault is it?

thank you for proving my point

Old 09-19-2014, 10:41 AM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,206 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Oh, geez. Now we're citing wiki as precedent.

Obviously, the intent going on here is a deliberate intent to NOT understand.

Quit playing with the mmmmmmantroll. It's not fun anymore.

Last edited by edilgdaor; 09-19-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Trim Reaper
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap you boys are still arguing this? Reading this thread I see the guys from Cali (where it is legal) are quite happy with it. What else do you need to know?

Old 09-19-2014, 11:11 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
NO, it should be illegal everywhere! What makes lane splitters think that their time is more valuable than anyone else's? I mean, that's the ONLY reason I can see for doing it. Mechanically, it's not necessary. It creates a dangerous situation, especially if people/cages aren't expecting it and it only makes you look like an ignorant jerk, IMO.

Should be legal everywhere. No reason motorcycles should be making stopped or slow traffic that much worse when they can keep going. Plus sitting in stop and go traffic isn't that safe.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:00 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Oh, geez. Now we're citing wiki as precedent.

Obviously, the intent going on here is a deliberate intent to NOT understand.

Quit playing with the mmmmmmantroll. It's not fun anymore.
Wiki, with verified references, is a very valid source of information. Welcome to the modern age.

Look up the definition of the word "precedent".

What is it that you think I don't understand?

Never mind, I don't care. The ignorance and single-mindedness of some on here is numbing.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:07 PM
chrisj49
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Wiki, with verified references, is a very valid source of information. Welcome to the modern age.

Look up the definition of the word "precedent".

What is it that you think I don't understand?

Never mind, I don't care. The ignorance and single-mindedness of some on here is numbing.
Here is what you don't understand -
Your statement: "Yes, genius, the lines define the lane that you're supposed to legally drive in except when crossing them to change lanes. Straddle them sometime when traffic allows, in front of a LEO, and find out how much of a "suggestion" they are. "

The lines define the lane, but they do not define how many vehicles can occupy the lane. This is the difference in CA. There is no law that says only one vehicle can occupy the lane.

If you split unsafely, you could be charged with reckless driving in CA. The difference is splitting is not a per se violation as it is in other states. Everywhere else, you are immediately guilty. In CA , it is the officer's discretion.

I split passed the LEOs all the time - they move over and let you by.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:19 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisj49
Here is what you don't understand -
Your statement: "Yes, genius, the lines define the lane that you're supposed to legally drive in except when crossing them to change lanes. Straddle them sometime when traffic allows, in front of a LEO, and find out how much of a "suggestion" they are. "

The lines define the lane, but they do not define how many vehicles can occupy the lane. This is the difference in CA. There is no law that says only one vehicle can occupy the lane.
I understand completely.

With a small car driving on the right side of his lane, you try driving over the line to the left of him, partially in his lane. If you drive along like that with your cage and a LEO sees it, you'll get cited for improper passing or reckless driving.

The lanes are not a suggestion. There is toleration for motorcyclists riding between the lanes. That is all I've ever said, contrary to what some on here believe.

I also stated why I believe it's dangerous, and anyone who think's it's not is seriously deluding themselves. I ride as if everyone is trying to kill me, and they seem to provide themselves with many opportunities without me giving them even more!

If you split unsafely, you could be charged with reckless driving in CA. The difference is splitting is not a per se violation as it is in other states. Everywhere else, you are immediately guilty. In CA , it is the officer's discretion.

I split passed the LEOs all the time - they move over and let you by.
I understand that. Never said that you can't in CA. As you said, it's the LEO's discretion.

Last edited by mmancuso; 09-19-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Juggerpops
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've never seen anyone open their door in stopped traffic to empty a cup? I have, many times.

You are responsible for accidents that happen while committing a crime. so if you open your door to litter and someone is hurt by it, you are liable.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:30 PM
possum528
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

I wish it were legal here, but it doesn't matter either way. I will do it and suffer what ever consequences may come.
I commute in the DC metro area on my motorcycle.
I lane split when traffic dictates.
Most if not all my fellow commuters are tolerant of my doing so.

Joe

Old 09-19-2014, 02:12 PM
chrisj49
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

I understand completely.

With a small car driving on the right side of his lane, you try driving over the line to the left of him, partially in his lane. If you drive along like that with your cage and a LEO sees it, you'll get cited for improper passing or reckless driving.

The lanes are not a suggestion. There is toleration for motorcyclists riding between the lanes. That is all I've ever said, contrary to what some on here believe.

I also stated why I believe it's dangerous, and anyone who think's it's not is seriously deluding themselves. I ride as if everyone is trying to kill me, and they seem to provide themselves with many opportunities without me giving them even more!
I understand that. Never said that you can't in CA. As you said, it's the LEO's discretion.
It's not toleration. It is legal to share the lane. The same principle applies in CA at a 4 way intersection. There is 1 lane in each direction. A driver in the lane is turning left. If there is sufficient space in the lane for me to continue on the right, I can do so. The same is applied to right hand turns. The person turning right can establish a lane-sharing situation with the traffic and move, adjacent to the thru traffic, until they reach the turn. There is no line to delineate the right turn at these types of intersections - the cars share the lane.

It's not tolerance, it's the law. If you don't act the fool, you are not breaking any law and the LEO will not bother you. They encourage us to share lanes. The motorcycle LEOs share with us. This is not hard to understand.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?