General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires - What a scam

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:42 PM
garywi
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires - What a scam

Trying to replace tires on my bike. I replace my own tires on my dirt bike but just don't want to do it myself on a bigger bike.

I called 4 HD dealers and got 4 different prices. They all have this "free tire install" scam where the tire price they quote is way higher than I get online with free shipping and no tax.

I asked one dealer if I could provide my own tires and have them install, and they would not. I can get Michelin's for $240 front and back. Harley is quoting $500.

I don't have an Indy near me in Peoria, AZ.

Have you been successful negotiating with HD dealers on better pricing for tires?

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2014, 12:46 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I didn't know HD had any room for negotiating prices! You could try it but I'd think they'd say like or leave it.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:47 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got two of my local HD shops to price match tires before. However I've found a local indy that will do that AND beat them on install prices.

I am surprised that they won't install tires you bring in.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:59 PM
Slowmo
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

gotta agree on this one. Paid almost 300$ for a new front tire this weekend.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:20 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Go to motorcyclesuperstore.com

Then look for their preferred installer program.

The tires will be priced reasonably. And you can find an installer in your zip code with prices you like. There are also customer reviews of the installer to make sure they are capable.

They send the tires of your choice to that installer, free shipping.

I got my Commander IIs put on my Slim this way and saved hundreds from what the dealer was asking. Met a good indie too.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:23 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

HD dealer in Kennewick, WA answers the phone with "blahblahblah...Home of the free tire install".

Old 09-17-2014, 01:23 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

My Indy told me that if they buy the tire, they know where it came from and are willing to give me a guarantee on my tire and if something does go wrong, they can send it back and get a replacement for free. If I was to bring in somebody else's tire and they had no idea where it came from, they wouldn't guarantee it. I've seen many around here that try to cut some corners, get a tire that has a defect and want the Indy to install it for them and then try to blame the Indy if something wrong happens later, so they had to do something to stop it and this is what their policy is.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:27 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Did you call the wheel shop?

Old 09-17-2014, 01:28 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

My HD dealer put's my tires on for their standard labor rates. I ride there with new tire(s) strapped to bike, ride home with the new installed. Easy.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:28 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,244 Likes on 11,135 Posts

I recently paid my dealer $170.05 plus tax, for a front Michelin Commander II 130/90B16. Yep, Amazon has it for $118 with free shipping and 2 day delivery as part of Amazon prime.

I also had my dealer install the new front tire on a new wheel I bought elsewhere. Install new bearings, polished rotors and Lyndall Pads that I bought from the dealer. Install cost was $212. Oh yeah...they did do a nice wash job... And the service writer is hot!

So, the install cost was high but not outrageous. The tire was a huge difference. Amazon deals in huge volume. I don't think Michelin would give Amazon preferential prices, but Amazon would have the advantage of bulk shipments to their distribution center. Where as, each dealer seems to get their tires individually shipped by UPS, as I saw 1 tire delivered within a larger delivery.

I want my dealer to stay in business. But, in the future might pick and choose what I have them do.

BTW...has anyone checked if places like Americas Tire Company can change Motorcycle Tires??

FWIW as reference. My Trike uses conventional car wheels and tires in the rear. I took my existing wheels with mounted tires to Americas Tire to have them move the tires to new chrome wheels. Including spin balancing they charged me $23!!!

Quick Reply: Tires - What a scam