General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Shipping Help/Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 11:29 AM
Melanie Gilmer
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping Help/Advice

I am looking for some information/help/advice on shipping a disassembled bike. I do not know much of anything about motorcycles, so I apologize if I misuse the terms or do not provide adequate information.

Needing to get a disassembled bike from Arizona to Mississippi. The bike was built by my father (now deceased) in the late 60's - early 70's. It is a chopper style bike with a panhead motor.

My initial thought was to fly cross country and then drive the parts back myself, but surely there is a cheaper alternative.

I have tried various "motorcycle shipping" companies, but all require bike to be assembled.

I would appreciate any help on this subject - even a point in the right direction.

The bike (even in its current state) has sentimental value that cannot be replaced.

Thank you in advance!

Old 10-31-2014, 06:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Melanie, hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. The reason bike shippers want a bike assembled is simply that they can wheel it around, on and off a trailer, or whatever they use, so they are very single-minded people! I suggest you look for a shipping business that simply removes anything, however that would probably be paying someone to pack and drive a vehicle to you and then back again. An alternative is to have it crated and then the crate delivered to you. None of that sounds like being cheap!

Hope that helps.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:47 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Call the Conway Express office ( may be Conway Southern or something similar) they will haul it if it's crated up right. Might be pricey though.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:55 AM
andywe
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to your local dealer. They get bikes in crates all the time and might be able to help you out (for a fee). if they can crate it, then you can have normal freight forwarder pick it up and ship it. Just a forklift or pallet jack load at that point.