General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Buying a properly equipped enclosed trailer for multiple uses is not easy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:45 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the Trimax locks. Thanks for showing them. Was there only a few sellers who could sell 3 keyed alike?

While discussing the locks on the doors you must consider the importance of securing the tongue both when hauling and when parked by itself.

And locking your hitch to your vehicle is another important part of the securing the trailer.

I have a set of locks for the hitch and trailer tongue when towing and have another lock that has a ball to fit the trailer tongue and a locking band to prevent someone from resting a simple locked tongue on their hitch, strapping them tightly together and stealing the whole trailer.

If anyone has really looked into these additional locks I'd like to see what it is your using. I bought simple, inexpensive ones and would like to see some that are more secure.

Now that I have a $26K Rushmore inside of a new $3,600 trailer I think all new locks are my next investment.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:29 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

JohnnyC: There were surprisingly few vendors who offered the keyed-alike choice on their websites. I think maybe though if you phoned them, they might cooperate, depending on how amenable to human intervention their automated shipping systems are!

And, multiple buyers have told me that they ordered withOUT having the keyed alike option available, and still got their locks all with the same key number. I just didn't want to take the chance that I would not!

Jim G

Old 03-24-2015, 09:54 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default A little mini update on my trailer

Here are a few things I thought up so if anyone wishes to add it to your trailer, please feel free to do so or not.

I made 4 (2 top & 2 bottom) flag pole holders that are internally supported to handle 2 20' flag poles. I made one set that are able to bolt on the left side rear or the front right side 16'-6" apart. The reason is so I can have them on the "front" no matter which side of the trailer, no matter which way I park, they are on one side sideways, or left and right when looking at the ramp.

I am working on my shower that the pan will fold up flat against the wall than have a screw in 9" drain that, once the deck hatch is unscrewed & removed, the drain funnel is exposed so that is 90º to a left side outside fitting, hose, into a portable gray water tank. The hinges are "camed" to raise the pan off the floor, thus exposing my I-track. The shower curtain track fits (ceiling) so the curtain is just inside of the pan.

The back-up camera is in, I have a total of three of them. I ran the camera feed to the tongue that is connected with a coiled wire to the rear of the truck.

The quick disconnects are in for (from [two 30 Gal] tank > accumulator > to T as you see it through the propane instant on hot water heater > through volume control than through the diverter valve to either the shower head or to return back to the water tank.

After shutting off the shower side than your choice through the T to the other side of the trailer into a hose bib for an outdoor sink or wash down (for my drunk friends but never me).

My connections to go up into and out of the shower & return line.

I made a chain bar to lock up motorcycles when unattended that is steel and bolted to the frame in 3 places. It is angled just in case I should hit something and the trailer should raise up and over.

Going forward the return line, tank crossover, cold pressurized feed line, white fitting/blue fill line to fill by a city water tap, water pump and accumulator (removes pulsation).

And lastly for this post, I wanted a flat floor so I bolted 1/2" plates & tapped them for 1/2" SS Alan bolts so I could remove my 5) motorcycle wheel chalks.

END

Last edited by FastHarley; 03-24-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:18 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Here are a few things I thought up so if anyone wishes to add it to your trailer, please feel free to do so or not.

I made 4 (2 top & 2 bottom) flag pole holders that are internally supported to handle 2 20' flag poles. I made one set that are able to bolt on the left side rear or the front right side 16'-6" apart. The reason is so I can have them on the "front" no matter which side of the trailer, no matter which way I park, they are on one side sideways, or left and right when looking at the ramp.

I am working on my shower that the pan will fold up flat against the wall than have a screw in 9" drain that, once the deck hatch is unscrewed & removed, the drain funnel is exposed so that is 90º to a left side outside fitting, hose, into a portable gray water tank. The hinges are "camed" to raise the pan off the floor, thus exposing my I-track. The shower curtain track fits (ceiling) so the curtain is just inside of the pan.

The back-up camera is in, I have a total of three of them. I ran the camera feed to the tongue that is connected with a coiled wire to the rear of the truck.

The quick disconnects are in for (from [two 30 Gal] tank > accumulator > to T as you see it through the propane instant on hot water heater > through volume control than through the diverter valve to either the shower head or to return back to the water tank.

After shutting off the shower side than your choice through the T to the other side of the trailer into a hose bib for an outdoor sink or wash down (for my drunk friends but never me).

My connections to go up into and out of the shower & return line.

I made a chain bar to lock up motorcycles when unattended that is steel and bolted to the frame in 3 places. It is angled just in case I should hit something and the trailer should raise up and over.

Going forward the return line, tank crossover, cold pressurized feed line, white fitting/blue fill line to fill by a city water tap, water pump and accumulator (removes pulsation).

And lastly for this post, I wanted a flat floor so I bolted 1/2" plates & tapped them for 1/2" SS Alan bolts so I could remove my 5) motorcycle wheel chalks.

END
Nice mods! The shower pan setup is really clever, since space is so valuable in a trailer, and yet having your own shower is so nice.

I love the backup camera! How expensive and how much work is that backup camera to set up?

Jim G

Old 03-24-2015, 02:32 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default Camra

>>> I love the backup camera! How expensive and how much work is that backup camera to set up?

<<< I think a few hundred but I am also doing my interior of my truck at the same time. To run the cables in the trailer is easy. To make a new center ceiling console to house the 10" screen is not so easy as the ceiling must be modified as taking down the walls to get the cables inside.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:48 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default 4.17.15 Update

4.17.15 Update

Got most of the aluminum sheeting and soffeting in. Notice the T-5 bulbs on the soffet as wel as the speakers. I am running 3 tows of E-Track that I white powdercoated. The bottom one is 5" off the floor allowing for 4" polished SS baseboard to be adhered to the walls on both sides. Vents are installed on both sides as well as the spare tire mount. I am enclosing the rear ramp spring. The LED hockey puck emergency lights will be screwed in next week.

Shower internal plumbing tested. Finishing up the sewer & drain next for the removable/fold-able against the wall shower pan next week with hatch to gain access to the sewer plumbing.