General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Paranoid after Lugging

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 09:03 PM
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paranoid after Lugging

Hey all. New here and just picked up my first Harley (883) a few days ago and did what seems like quite a few people have done but still worried about it. After a long day of riding I was pretty tired and heading home (lesson learned don't ride when you're that fatigued). Pulled up to a light to turn onto a highway, forgot to shift down back into first and started off in 4th gear. Was able to feather the clutch through the turn enough to get it up to speed without killing it but obviously it wasn't very happy about it. Did that not only once but twice. Now besides wanting to chuck myself off a building for making such a rookie mistake, how can I tell if there is serious damage? The rest of the ride home was normal but I can't help but worry (OCD) that something cracked/broke/etc. I realize people say Harleys are tough but starting out in 4th? FML. Appreciate any advice/tips besides "don't be a dumba**"! Cheers and thanks in advance!

Old 04-19-2015, 09:18 PM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

what's done is done. If all is normal, then all is normal. We've all done it.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:22 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,335 Likes on 10,703 Posts

I can't see how u would have done any damage my friend. If all feels gd and u hear nothing odd going on, all is well I would say. Just do not see damage being done.

Would suggest you do what I do...............down shift. I down shift 100% of the time. EVERY time. That way u will not accidentally start off on 4th gear. You did WELL feathering it and still going thru making that turn at the light.

But think abt down shifting ok? sometimes I think I downshift more than I up shift. LOL

BuzzCap7

Old 04-21-2015, 11:02 PM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
I can't see how u would have done any damage my friend. If all feels gd and u hear nothing odd going on, all is well I would say. Just do not see damage being done.

Would suggest you do what I do...............down shift. I down shift 100% of the time. EVERY time. That way u will not accidentally start off on 4th gear. You did WELL feathering it and still going thru making that turn at the light.

But think abt down shifting ok? sometimes I think I downshift more than I up shift. LOL

BuzzCap7
^yes; and it is better for the transmission to downshift when slowing down, safer too

Old 04-21-2015, 11:19 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I'm guessing you're in the habit of pulling in the clutch and coasting to a stop, and then putting it into first. That's a really, really bad habit.

Always shift down as you're slowing down; that way you'll always be in the right gear, should you need it, and you'll always be in first as you come to a stop.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:26 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Compression braking FTW!!!!

Old 04-25-2015, 06:42 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

You probably took at least a dozen shifts out of the life of your clutch..

Old 04-26-2015, 03:40 PM
swifty
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 40 Posts

If you did any damage .... the Bike WILL let you know. Im sure your ok...swifty

Old 04-26-2015, 05:14 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 651
Pulled up to a light to turn onto a highway, forgot to shift down back into first and started off in 4th gear. Was able to feather the clutch through the turn enough to get it up to speed without killing it but obviously it wasn't very happy about it.
I would sell it quick, its toast.

Seriously, don't worry about it. Why didn't you down shift as soon as you knew it? Better yet, down shift as you are coming to a stop. Then you are all set when you go

Old 04-26-2015, 06:36 PM
BLKPRLFLHTCU
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its fine don't loose sleep over it.

Quick Reply: Paranoid after Lugging