General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Sirrus/XM won't stay activated?

Old 06-15-2015, 11:03 AM
nelson_j_m
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sirrus/XM won't stay activated?

I have tried to activate Sirrus/XM twice. The first time it activated and I waited maybe 10 minutes until I could select different channels and hear them. The second time I activated and rode the bike for close to two hours listening to XM. Both times, I shut down my bike and the next time I started it I had lost the activation and XM showed unsubscribed in setup. Any ideas?

Old 06-17-2015, 08:03 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your satellite radio has a digital switch inside that activates or deactivates the radio service. When you activate a satellite radio the vendor updates the satellite in space with your radio ID. The satellite then sends a special signal to activate (flick the switch) your radio. That process takes 10 minutes or more. They actually send the signal occasionally over a window of time to make sure your radio can get to a place it can receive the signal. The same process happens when you deactivate. There's actually a loophole in the system because if your radio is off when they send the deactivation signal your radio will not deactivate. If you leave it off for 3 or 4 months they stop sending the signal and your radio will never deactivate.

Anyways, if your radio activates and soon deactivates I would say there is a problem with the hardware or software of the radio. You should look inot getting it replaced.