General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Alternative compressor mount for Howards Horns

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 01:42 AM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Alternative compressor mount for Howards Horns

I tried a search but found nothing...apologies if it's been discussed before.
I'm mounting a set of Howards Horns on my FLTRU. Being an Ultra (with lowers), the "factory" mount is the 2 trumpets, with the cowbell hanging underneath (see first pic). I'm not digging that look, and as I was fiddling around, I noticed that the compressor (tightly) mounts under the left-side panel (in front of saddlebag....see pic 2) and cover fits over it with no interference, leaving a cleaner looking install. Has anyone ever tried this? Is there any issues I might encounter that says I should just leave it in stock location? The factory air hose is 1/4"x12"...With it mounted under the cover, I'll need 17" long.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Old 06-29-2015, 06:30 PM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 220 Posts

I don't know of any problems the extra length hose might cause. I hope you have better luck with your Howard's Horns than I did. I never could get them to work right and the company wouldn't do anything for me. I took them off, threw them in the trash can and got Rivco horns. The Rivco's have a much better sound and actually work. I mounted the compressor in front of the battery on my '14 Limited and they work great.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:15 AM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by penmaker
I don't know of any problems the extra length hose might cause. I hope you have better luck with your Howard's Horns than I did. I never could get them to work right and the company wouldn't do anything for me. I took them off, threw them in the trash can and got Rivco horns. The Rivco's have a much better sound and actually work. I mounted the compressor in front of the battery on my '14 Limited and they work great.
Second time I've owned them (first was on old bike that was totalled), never had any issues (they actually sent me a new bracket on old bike when it got bent...no problems) Quite happy with the company.
As far as the mounting, I went ahead and hid the compressor, no problems whatsoever, much neater install than having the damn cowbell hanging under the trumpets