General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Handicap options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 09:41 AM
KSBOWHUNTERS73
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handicap options?

Long story here so bare with please. any advice is appreciated. Ok.. so me and the spouse have a 2012 street glide and this past February I woke up at 2am to her having what I thought was a Stroke. we both are only 41yrs old. Well an ambulance ride to the ER and a weeks stay in hospital. they dismissed us and told us to resume our normal life! well that would have all been great but the right side of her body didn't work like it did before. She could Barely walk 20 feet! They dismissed the stroke but had no clue as to what caused it. So we spent the next 4 month making trips every week to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. Since then most of her functionality on the right side has came back, but she cannot walk great distances. So.... rallies are out, Bike shows are out, ect ect. She can ride for quit awhile with no problems but about all we can do is make a big loop back home or go out to eat or go get a beer somewhere and come back, so our options are limited! So my question to everyone is this... has anyone seen a walker or any type of assistance device strapped to a bike? If so what is it or what are my options? The walker we have is way to big to strap on the tour-pak. I've thought about a trailer even! advice please! Thank you,

Old 07-31-2015, 09:46 AM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a friend that is paralyzed and he rides a trike. He has this quickie wheel chair. Its small and he flips it right onto the back of his trike. It is small and light and i am sure you can get a mount for it on your bike. I dont know how she would feel being in a chair, but i will tell you it is a great option.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:18 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

There are various clubs and organisations for disabled riders/veterans who must have tackled challenges like this! Well worth looking around to see if you have a local chapter who can help. We occasionally get enquiries from riders with a disability, although it may be difficult to find the threads - they are scattered around!

My elderly mother-in-law had what I nick-named her 'sprinter' (she was very slow!) which has three wheels and folds almost flat, also has bicycle brakes. Search for 'walking aids', there are similar things on-line, which may give you both a eureka moment!

Best of luck - there is a solution out there, I'm sure!

Old 07-31-2015, 01:18 PM
inkdemon
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

They make those canes that fold open to a seat, if she's ok with a cane assisted walking. http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/nov...379090-product

Old 07-31-2015, 01:36 PM
KSBOWHUNTERS73
Novice

Oh wow! I like that cane idea! looking into a walker too that will fold up to a decent size. I like the 3 wheeled one but wish they had an optional seat to go with them. Thanks for the replies and ideas! I'm going keep searching and as we all know.... she's gonna have to approve it first! lol