General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Slip On Exhaust Prolem

Old 08-10-2015, 01:27 PM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Slip On Exhaust Prolem

Greetings!

I have an issue with my Screaming Eagle slip on exhaust pipes that is very frustrating, and quite frankly very confusing.

This morning I removed my SE Street Cannons, and tried to replace them with the slip on pipes I had on previously: SE Diffusion Disc pipes (part #80847-10).
The HD dealership removed the SE Diffusion Disc pipes about 18 months ago, boxed them up, and installed the Street Cannons. The boxed up pipes they removed have been sitting in my garage until this morning.

I removed the Street Cannons easily, and tried to slip on the SE Diffusion Disc pipes. As with every other exhaust pipe I have ever installed, the right side pipe (and sometimes left as well) has an indentation to accommodate the right side axle nut protruding outward. However, neither of the Diffusion Disc pipes had this indentation. So...I guessed that perhaps one of the pipes was narrower than the other. I was wrong...they are identical.

I attempted to install each pipe on the right side, but they each contacted the axle nut. I can't see how they would slip on without the indentation.

SO...either I am totally inept (it's possible, but I have removed/installed countless pipes over the years), or the dealership mixed my pipes up with others they may have had, and gave me two left pipes that don't have the indentation.

Hopefully someone out there has these pipes and can tell me if there is, in fact, and indentation on the right side pipe...or can tell me what I am doing wrong.

Wanted to check here first before I go to the dealership and make some wild allegation that they will likely deny anyway.

Thanks in advance and best regards! A06

P.S. Ignore the title misspelling...it should be "PROBLEM", not "PROLEM"!

Last edited by Airborne06; 08-10-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:37 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The way to tell if you have two right sides or two left sides is by the Screaming Eagle logo etched on the slip-on. They should be opposite each other on a right and left slip-on. That is unless they etched the logo on each side.

Also, I wouldn't think the dealer would have a bunch of SE Diffusion's sitting around to mix and match, but I've heard of dealers doing some strange things before.

Another thought, are you using a motorcycle jack? If so maybe the dropped axle is causing your issue.