General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Battery or Starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 10:42 AM
Luckyshoes
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Battery or Starter problem

OK, let's see what you guys think here?

I ran out of gas and had a half gallon left. I restarted and drove straight towards a gas station. It died on me again and this time I could not get it to start as the starter would not engage but just "click click click". Bike still powered on and radio worked but no engagement.
So I called for a tow. Driver showed up he had a portable hand-held jumper. We hooked it up and it started up. he followed me to the gas station but it used up what reserve was left so we put it in the truck. I brought it home instead of the shop as I thought it was not a starter problem as we got it going so it should just be a battery issue.

Went to buy a tender (yes, I haven't had one) and Harley convinced me a 1.25v charger would be better.

Hooked it up last night, it was indicating batter able to be charged (steady amber light) and this morning was solid green.

When tried to start it.."click click click"

Damnit.

So my question is, "is it the battery now?"
Should I go pay for a new HD battery?

Thanks for any response!

Old 10-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Dave Cawley
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb

Turn the lights on and then try. If the lights stay bright it's a solenoid/starter issue, if they dim out then it's the battery.

Dave

Old 10-06-2015, 12:13 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Get a new battery.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Hook jumper cables to from your bike to a car battery.

DO NOT START THE CAR!!

If your bike starts, then you need a new battery.

If your bike does not start, then you need to look deeper in the manual - loose wires, bad starter relay, etc. before purchasing a new starter.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:01 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 10-06-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:04 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

What year and model?

How old is the battery?

Take the battery to an auto parts store and have it load tested (if the battery is more than 3 years old replace it).

Until you know you have a fully charged battery in good working condition you can`t start troubleshooting.

Clean all the battery cable connections.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 10-06-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:16 PM
Luckyshoes
4th Gear

2002 police road king.

Unfortunately the bike is new to me (2 mo) and no idea of the service history.

It started up with a jump...so I'm guessing the starter should not be the problem. Gotta fix fast as only transportation at moment

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
What year and model?

How old is the battery?

Take the battery to an auto parts store and have it load tested (if the battery is more than 3 years old replace it).

Until you know you have a fully charged battery in good working condition you can`t start troubleshooting.

Clean all the battery cable connections.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:04 PM
jguilletjr
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Luckyshoes
OK, let's see what you guys think here?

I ran out of gas and had a half gallon left. I restarted and drove straight towards a gas station. It died on me again and this time I could not get it to start as the starter would not engage but just "click click click". Bike still powered on and radio worked but no engagement.
So I called for a tow. Driver showed up he had a portable hand-held jumper. We hooked it up and it started up. he followed me to the gas station but it used up what reserve was left so we put it in the truck. I brought it home instead of the shop as I thought it was not a starter problem as we got it going so it should just be a battery issue.

Went to buy a tender (yes, I haven't had one) and Harley convinced me a 1.25v charger would be better.

Hooked it up last night, it was indicating batter able to be charged (steady amber light) and this morning was solid green.

When tried to start it.."click click click"

Damnit.

So my question is, "is it the battery now?"
Should I go pay for a new HD battery?

Thanks for any response!

Make sure the battery cables are clean and tight. Be sure the ground cable is grounded. Put a vold meter on the battery Post,(not the cables) and try to start it. If the Voltage drops below 10.5 its the battery. If not hook the volt meter to the battery Cables and try. If the voltage drops wen hooked to the cables, and not when hooked to the battery its a bad connection.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:02 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

How many volts does you battery currently have? How many after charging? What is the voltage drop when you put a load on the battery? These will need to be answered if you want to *know if you battery is bad. Also, check the charging system while you have the meter out to confirm the stator and regulator are doing their job. Or you could just buy a new battery and hope nothing else is wrong...