General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

HD hose clamp remove/replace

Old 12-18-2015, 04:21 PM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts
Default HD hose clamp remove/replace

This may already be somewhere but searching got too many hits to sort through. Here's a how to if you don't already have it.

DOCUMENT CHANGE HISTORY:
date -------- changed by ----- recap of changes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9/9/2012 --- gtmalone ------- document created

KEYWORDS AND KEY PHRASES
hose clamp removal

APPLICABLE YEAR/MODEL
All

1. TECHNICAL AREAS ADDRESSED

1.1 - H-D uses special crimp on hose clamps on the fuel and oil lines. The clamps are sized to the particular application and are leak free if installed properly. This tech tip describes how to remove and install these clamps.

2. HOW TO - H-D hose clamp removal

2.1 - Use a Dremel cutoff wheel to cut the hose clamp from the hose. Be careful not to cut something that shouldn’t be cut. Alternatively, you may be able loosen the clamp sufficiently by inserting a flat blade screw driver into the crimped section then twist to uncrimp the clamp. See Figure 1. NOTE: Discard the clamp and hose. Replace with NEW parts to be leak free.

3. HOW TO - make a clamp installation tool

3.1 - Make a clamp installation tool as follows. Obtain a pair of wire end nippers. File or grind down the sharp edges on the jaws. See Figure 2.

4. HOW TO - install new H-D hose clamps

4.1 - Place NEW hose clamps on the NEW hose. Install the hose onto the fittings. Slide the clamps close to the flare on the fitting. Use the modified end nippers or an H-D hose clamp installation tool to crimp the hose clamps. See Figure 3.

ALL DONE!

Links to figures

http://s471.photobucket.com/user/gtmalone/slideshow/H-D%20hose%20clamp%20removal-installation?sort=9

Last edited by gtmalone; 12-19-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:50 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

So what's your point? Or question?

Old 12-18-2015, 09:26 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts
Old 12-19-2015, 09:44 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

Offering a tech tip.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:24 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Got ya. A pair of dikes and the proper Oetiker clamp tool makes quick and easy work of them for removal and install; no need to break out a cutoff wheel to remove them...

Old 01-01-2016, 11:24 AM
monckywrench
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts

Agreed. A cutoff wheel is stupid method fraught with risk of hose damage and throwing sparks and grit all over your motorcycle. That method is sofaking wetoddid.

Welding and industrial suppliers have Oetiker clamp tools and clamp rings. I've built and repaired many welding hoses with them but I wouldn't reinstall an Oetiker clamp on a motorcycle unless I was restoring one that came with them because I don't carry Oetiker clamps on the road and I find them annoying.

Oetikers are the least expensive possible hose clamps, they install faster than any other hose clamp making them ideal for production assembly by unskilled labor, but they are no friend of mechanics because (for example) you can't quickly replace a hose in the field using only your Leatherman.

You can buy tidy screw-type hose clamps designed for use with fuel injection. I use them on oil and fuel lines. A few bucks a pack online, search "fuel injection hose clamps". You can also buy Gates fuel injection hose to use on your fuel and oil lines. Old-style fuel hose is garbage by comparison for oil lines and deteriorates quickly under modern ethanol fuels. I found the best deals on precut lengths of Gates fuel injection hose via Ebay sellers.

Attached Thumbnails HD hose clamp remove/replace-efi-hose-clamp.jpg  
Old 01-03-2016, 08:26 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,715 Likes on 3,492 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
Got ya. A pair of dikes and the proper Oetiker clamp tool makes quick and easy work of them for removal and install; no need to break out a cutoff wheel to remove them...
I use a 4" angle grinder and a pry bar. LOL

Just kidding. +1 on the oetiker pliers?

Jim