General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Hawk landing on bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 04:18 AM
weezl
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pccoder
My co-workers said that, but...

1. Won't it start to melt from the engine heat?
2. What's to stop the Hawk from thinking the cover is now its new lunch?
any bike cover made by a company that has been around for more than 20 minutes, won't sell anything that will melt from the heat of a bike that has been turned off for more than about 5-10 minutes. many covers (like the dowco guardian that I use) are designed to be put on a hot bike. It has a different material anywhere near where the pipes might be, that is heat resistant, and can go on HOT pipes with no issues. I actually like to put the cover on when it's hot, especially if it's been raining, as the heat helps dry the bike off, under the cover (there's also a vent at the top)

Originally Posted by pccoder
I'm not worried about Hawk crap. I'm worried about it chewing up the seat, brake lines, etc. Our company bought some ultrasonic noise makers and planted them by the bikes. Problem seems to be resolved.
hawks are predatory birds, they don't eat random stuff like fabric, leather and brake lines... and unless I'm mistaken, they will only VERY rarely eat even road kill, they want to catch and kill their own meals. Road kill is a frozen tv dinner, for when they are starving and can't find anything better to eat. Now them stepping on your seat and piercing it with their talons is an entirely real possibility. They have very sharp talons and use them to grip things when perching.

I think you might be better off using something like these, throw a couple on the bike in likely spots for the hawk to land, and it won't land there

these are spiky things, the bird tries to land on it, their feet can't grip it, and the pokey things poke them in the ***, it's uncomfortable so they go elsewhere

or this one, not sure exactly how it works, but seems like it would be like trying to walk towards someone squirting you in the face with a water gun, just annoying