General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Changed Hand Controls and Bike won't Start

Old 02-07-2016, 08:01 PM
LovelaceJR
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Changed Hand Controls and Bike won't Start

Evenin' from Austin, TX.,
I have a 2009 Heritage Softail Classic that I bought used a few months ago. It has about 25k miles on it.

Today I changed the hand controls to the chrome version, added a fresh battery, and went to start the bike. It turned over really strongly making the normal noises, but then made a loud, repetitive, metallic clicking noise. This is my fifth Harley and the third time I've changed hand controls myself to the chrome ones -- but that doesn't mean I am a mechanic. I've adjusted the clutch according to the service manual.

I am going to take the battery back to the retailer and ask them to load test it just to be sure it's a-ok.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
J-Lo

Old 02-07-2016, 08:44 PM
07DeuceTX
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Was your old battery still working? Put it back in and compare what it does. I'm guessing you started the bike, made sure all was good before you swapped anything out. I tend to do one thing, then fire it up. Move on the next swap, then fire it up. By your description, I'd bet battery. I can't see anything in the hand controls that would keep a bike from starting, especially Neutral.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:40 PM
LovelaceJR
Advanced

Originally Posted by 07DeuceTX
Was your old battery still working? Put it back in and compare what it does. I'm guessing you started the bike, made sure all was good before you swapped anything out. I tend to do one thing, then fire it up. Move on the next swap, then fire it up. By your description, I'd bet battery. I can't see anything in the hand controls that would keep a bike from starting, especially Neutral.
It started fine several weeks ago. Since I bought it used, I typically will do maintenance on it so I know what's been done. So I have turned my battery in already. You make a good point, I'll have to remember to do that next time.

It behaves the same way in first gear as it does in neutral.

Thank you.

Last edited by LovelaceJR; 02-07-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:32 PM
07DeuceTX
Cruiser

I know it's hard to describe a noise ... Almost like trying to describe a taste. If it makes the same noise in Neutral or First, I can't see it being a clutch or clutch adjustment issue. I still think battery, voltage or even load draw when starting - Maybe something basic like a poor ground. It's hard to imagine you messed up the actual starter by changing levers and a battery - But then again, none of us are immune to bad luck. Good luck!!

Old 02-14-2016, 03:49 PM
HGMC_GB
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is the motor turning over at all?

Old 02-14-2016, 04:41 PM
LovelaceJR
Advanced

Thanks for the responses everyone.

There turned out to be two problems. First, the clutch cable was NOT adjusted properly as I thought. It did not disengage causing the terrible grinding noise. Second, the battery that I bought turned out to be bad.

Back on the road today worth awesome, sunny weather here in austin.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:08 PM
07DeuceTX
Cruiser

Cool you got it sorted, and are back on the road!!