General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

04 ultra classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:12 PM
Phyllis Radke
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 ultra classic

My engine light comes on intermittently, no performance concerns apparent when riding. I did I diagnostic on it and this is what it said, look forward to any feedback. Seems to me no codes are stored but is followed by part numbers.

P no rsp
S none, Pn 68922-00c
Sp none, pn67350-04
E none, pn 67348-04

Old 03-17-2016, 08:46 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Codes will only be present when the check engine light is on. The most codes clear as soon as the issue goes away (light goes out). It's impossible to check for codes while riding so things can get pretty frustrating. What you should do is the next time the light comes on is take note of everything you can. That includes outside temperature, humidity, current gear, changing gears, accelerating or decelerating, turning, fuel level, etc... Do that each time the light comes on to see if there are any consistencies.

One example of a temporary engine light/code would be when someone replaces there incandescent turn signal bulbs with LED's and does not use a voltage regulator. Every time they activate the turn signal the check engine light will come on because of a drop in voltage due to the fact that LED lights use less voltage. The ECM thinks the bulb is out and reports an error. As soon as the turn signal is deactivated the code clears and the check engine light goes out.

I'm not sure what the actual problem is but hopefully this helps you out.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2016, 10:11 AM
Phyllis Radke
Stage III

Thanks for your reply. Very frustrating trying to track down the problem. Head and spot lights have been changed to led but no issues there. Engine lights come on under excelleration over 2500 rpm, light goes out when it drops under that. Does anyone no why part numbers show following steps when in diagnostic mode?

Old 03-19-2016, 12:59 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Your codes will be stored historically and you can look them up using the trip reset button and the proper sequence, I am sure youtube has a video showing the steps...Write them down then look them up online (Fuel Moto's sits has most of them). The reply by enodrano is not accurate as no technician would ever be able to diag/check codes if that were the case...

Old 03-19-2016, 03:59 PM
Phyllis Radke
Stage III

I'm able to clear the codes but for some reason the part numbers will not clear. Anyone know how to clear those?

Old 03-20-2016, 08:08 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Phyllis Radke
I'm able to clear the codes but for some reason the part numbers will not clear. Anyone know how to clear those?
You cannot clear the module information - only the codes. The module information is hard coded.

The information you have been given about the codes only being able to be retrieved while live is incorrect. Also the check engine light doesn't indicate lighting.

They will be stored as historic codes until 50 start/run cycles have been completed without reoccurring - after 50 clean start and run cycles the codes will clear themselves.

If you need any additional info, just shoot me a pm