General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Forward Control Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 07:38 PM
tysonb
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forward Control Install

Does anyone know if "extended" forward controls can be easily swapped out for regular forward controls? I just purchased a '06 Dyna Lowrider with midcontrols and took it in to have forward controls put on. I'm 6'4 so I saw 'extended' forward controls & thought they would be more fitting (thinking normal forward controls would be for someone 6' or so. But these are WAY forward. Feels dangerous to ride. I am not a very skilled mechanic but I'm handy with a wrench and basic mechanical bolts & screws,oil changes, etc and I really cant afford to go back to Harley for another $200 install. Are the forward & extended forward controls fairly interchangeable except for what actually bolts into the frame?

Old 04-09-2016, 04:20 PM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm also around 6'4" and I upgraded my mid controls to forwards myself. The standard forward controls work fine for me and I would say you would be fine without them.

It wasn't that tough to upgrade to the standard forward controls and I think you probably could've done it yourself. The extended forward control kit Harley sells just includes the parts needed for the extension (Extended Mounting Brackets, Longer Brake and Shift linkage, etc...). You just basically take off the old and install the new. You just need the right wrenches. No need for fluid changes or lifts/jacks. With all that said, Harley charges $400 for the extended kit. I'm my opinion that's not worth the extra 3 inches.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:18 PM
tysonb
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks enodrano. yeah I ordered them but want to do the work myself. It looks like I can just swap out everything from the rods forward to swap out the extended for the regular forwards? Will I have to bleed the brakes or anything?

Old 04-11-2016, 07:45 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

I know a girl that wants to do the same with her 2010 dyna, but is worried about what to do with the stock shift shaft that runs through the inner and outer primary. Can you leave the stock shaft in and just cover it with a cap? She was told it has to be removed for some unknown reason to me?

Old 04-13-2016, 06:36 AM
chrisarrington
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want the extensions and I am only 6'0". I feel like my legs are a little cramped. I may end up getting another seat first since the wife wants a taller backrest. That might sit me back and not need them. Does anyone know if the Dyna and the Softail have the same mounting holes? Mine is mounted by three bolts into the frame.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:40 PM
enodrano
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tysonb
Thanks enodrano. yeah I ordered them but want to do the work myself. It looks like I can just swap out everything from the rods forward to swap out the extended for the regular forwards? Will I have to bleed the brakes or anything?
No need to bleed the brakes. You just replace the rod.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:57 PM
enodrano
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cocky
I know a girl that wants to do the same with her 2010 dyna, but is worried about what to do with the stock shift shaft that runs through the inner and outer primary. Can you leave the stock shaft in and just cover it with a cap? She was told it has to be removed for some unknown reason to me?
You do not need to remove the old spline or the primary cover. You will need a couple of things though. Here is how I did mine:

I had to make a bracket to hold the old shift arm from flopping around. I just secured it with a bolt on the motor.

I also used a spline cover for the front of the primary. It's the type you would use if you removed a heel shifter.

This makes it easy to swap back to mid controls if you want.

Good Luck!

Old 04-23-2016, 07:17 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks enodrano, thats what i was looking for. I will send it on to her.