General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Could a tour pak expert help me with my old pak?

Old 04-15-2016, 09:29 PM
linearone
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could a tour pak expert help me with my old pak?

Hello all,
I am thankful such a community exists and would like to say thanks in advance for all the help you folks can give. I would love some help with my tour pak. I bought this in 2010 on ebay as a used tour pak. I have loads of questions. I have no idea what it may or may not have been on. One guy told me maybe a police bike.
I'm going to post alot of pics, perhaps someone or some folks can help me with my seemingly endless list of questions. Ill just drop my queries here before the pics, again any help is greatly appreciated, just an FYI I have shown this tour pak to 1 parts guy locally and he gave me a lot of "thoughts", and "yeah, maybes", and "well, lets just order a part and see" . Nothing against them, he was actually very nice just not very sure....

1) Is this actually a OEM Harley tour pak?
2) Is this ABS or Fiberglass? I think its fiberglass due to the textures I see barely on the outside.
3) What was this from? it seems to have a pretty flat bottom. It has lights on the sides on the bottom.
4) all the hinges have pop rivets. Must have been replaced right? Are they good quality (oem)? I see they have roll ins in them, is that OK?
5) There are NO latches and no provision for them. no bondoed area inside.. nothing, could it be a police trunk? Should I/could I add latches? I want to add a wrap around backrest .
6) Can I add a wrap around backrest? How would I know which to buy?
7)look at the lock. Its a normal key not a barrell... does this give clue to age?
8) It has a hinge instead of a cable. Is that significant? It also has internal pockets.

again, thanks for the help in advance. Here comes a pic dump.
single link to album on imgur
http://imgur.com/a/i3Vya

Could a tour pak expert help me with my old pak?-lgwvfql.jpg
Could a tour pak expert help me with my old pak?-kjslmel.jpg
Could a tour pak expert help me with my old pak?-itaseyd.jpg
Could a tour pak expert help me with my old pak?-xjhwsa4.jpg
Could a tour pak expert help me with my old pak?-vawdcch.jpg
Could a tour pak expert help me with my old pak?-vcjdr3l.jpg
Could a tour pak expert help me with my old pak?-jci8fgp.jpg
Could a tour pak expert help me with my old pak?-q3gxces.jpg
Could a tour pak expert help me with my old pak?-mwndn2d.jpg
Could a tour pak expert help me with my old pak?-7528q8j.jpg
Could a tour pak expert help me with my old pak?-oupgqnh.jpg
Could a tour pak expert help me with my old pak?-xj0t079.jpg
Could a tour pak expert help me with my old pak?-tsq9hrb.jpg
Could a tour pak expert help me with my old pak?-ttndl3b.jpg
Could a tour pak expert help me with my old pak?-pnm1tku.jpg
Could a tour pak expert help me with my old pak?-gddrjnb.jpg

Old 04-15-2016, 09:59 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

That's an OLD AMF tour pack that has been repainted. The rivets in the lid are OE. The rivets in the pack are not (at least from my experience). Here's a link that shows all the same views as yours (more or less). Possibly someone switched the lid - looks different in surface smoothness but the paint job is not very good.

http://www.motorcycleandoutdoors.com...ourpakblue.htm

and another

http://www.elvisplace.com/Shovelhead...OS-EP20032.htm

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 04-15-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:56 PM
linearone
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
That's an OLD AMF tour pack that has been repainted. The rivets in the lid are OE. The rivets in the pack are not (at least from my experience). Here's a link that shows all the same views as yours (more or less). Possibly someone switched the lid - looks different in surface smoothness but the paint job is not very good.

http://www.motorcycleandoutdoors.com...ourpakblue.htm

and another

http://www.elvisplace.com/Shovelhead...OS-EP20032.htm
No kidding..so late 70's early 80's huh? Thank you very much. Have any take on tbe rest of it? Like would I be able to put a wraparound backrest on it? Should/can I put latches on it ?

Old 04-15-2016, 11:08 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

I suppose anything could be done but why bother on that pack - it's old and rough.

Also, looking more at the interior, looks like it could have been the same pack and lid pair. I do know that finish quality back then sucked. However, the rivets were out so perhaps not. The dealer has a special rivet tool that installs the special HD rivets so that's not an issue.

If it were me, I would probably sand it down,get the paint off the latches, primer it nice and sell it to someone who needs a vintage pack then get a newer one and not go through the hassle. Or just sell it as is and let the new owner's painter straighten it out.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:12 PM
linearone
3rd Gear

Well I think I need/want to stick with this one. We all know the costs and the price of paint. All in all I thought this was in good shape. Sure seems solid.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:16 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Yeah - I've seen much worse come out good.

Make sure the bottom is solid where it mounts and will work on the newer mounts. All my bikes from 99up had flat bottom packs with a metal plate inside for strength. I'm not sure about packs that old.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:15 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 533 Posts

Just went thru the same thing with this one I got from someone here on the forum. No idea of the age but according to the parts guy at local dealership the lighting assembly is obsolete so I picked up some 9'' led strips and replaced. The rivets are a joy to drill out( only managed to punch 1 hole in the lid ) I didn't like the way my paint turned out so I scuffed it and hit it with bedliner spray, good thing that my bike is black. That hinge to hold lid open was replaced with a length of steel cable and works just fine. It's not show quality but for the trip or two a year it will be fine.

I present my "Poor Pack".....

Last edited by Hammerhead Pat; 04-16-2016 at 07:17 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 04-16-2016, 09:43 AM
linearone
3rd Gear

Were you able to determine if modern lids are the same? Think I can get a backrest on it?

Old 04-17-2016, 05:30 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I have an '80s tourpak, off a Statue of Liberty edition Glide, which yours looks to be the same as. Mine has a metal floor rivetted in, which covers the grooves in the base. I bought mine with a stock backrest, but later fitted a Corbin, however there is no evidence of youra having had a backrest. Mine had the same label inside. Your lid stay is an add-on IMHO, mine is the same as Pat's.