General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

2006 Electra Glide Starter Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 09:36 PM
Jitters
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Electra Glide Starter Issue

Hi, currently stumped with a starter issue. Replaced starter; however, when engaging starter, the long bolt assembly that holds everything together somehow comes loose when the starter shaft disengages. So subsequently, it simply spins from that point. not sure what I'm missing at this point...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:01 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

You have the thrust washer and lockplate set up correctly on the jackshaft bolt? Are the bushings in the primary and cover for the jackshaft in good shape allowing it to slide in and out without binding?

Old 07-21-2016, 06:42 PM
Jitters
6th Gear

Hi,

The washer and lock plate appear to be set up correctly. It looks as though the bolt is getting stuck in the primary cover resulting in the starter shaft returning to its resting position minus the bolt. I was thinking that maybe the washers were worn and that was causing them to bind inside the primary...

Old 07-22-2016, 11:39 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member

You need to replace the bushings in the primary so the jackshaft moves properly. We do this almost every time we pull a primary at the shop.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:50 PM
Jitters
6th Gear

Hey DFW,

Thanks for the feedback. Question, is there a special tool needed to remove the busing? And would you recommend replacing the two washers as well?

Best Regards,
Todd

Old 07-24-2016, 12:47 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member

You can use a blind bearing puller for the smaller one in the primary cover. For the bigger one you can cut it out or carefully pry it out. It does have a split in it, so it is fairly easy to collapse on itself if you use a small die grinder to cut it.

What washers are you referring to?

Old 07-24-2016, 09:58 PM
Jitters
6th Gear

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
You can use a blind bearing puller for the smaller one in the primary cover. For the bigger one you can cut it out or carefully pry it out. It does have a split in it, so it is fairly easy to collapse on itself if you use a small die grinder to cut it.

What washers are you referring to?
Hi, Thanks again for the reply. I actually was referring to the two small washers on the jack bolt...I purchased them anyway when I bought the primary cover bushing. I also tried to remove the bushing with a small slide hammer but was unsuccessful. No idea what a blind bearing puller is but Google is my friend.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:26 PM
Jitters
6th Gear

Hey there DFW! I was finally able to remove the primary cover bushing after wasting $125 dollars on purchasing tools that didn't work. LOL. I simply took a hacksaw blade, cut it in two and voila!

Unfortunately, that didn't solve my issue. It appears as though when I removed the old starter, there was a small sleeve that somehow fell off the starter shaft that I didn't see. Yeah, I know, RTFM. LOL. I'll have to get one soon. But it looks like that was the issue. I'll find out momentarily, if that is indeed the issue.

Well at least now I know that the bushing and the washers are good...Thanks again for the feedback. Have a great week...

Old 07-25-2016, 08:13 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member

No problem man, glad you got it.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:48 PM
Jitters
6th Gear

Well, back again folks. Unfortunately, I had to tear her down again. Got her to start, however, it looks as though the starter gear is hanging up on the flywheel. Yeah, I know, but hell I'm trying. LOL. The big gear thingy that holds the clutch stuff aight...LOL

I have no idea why its getting stuck but I removed the starter and looked at it like, okay work, please. So I put it back on and made sure that the shaft was not binding and that the thing that was getting stuck, and no I have no idea what this **** is called. There's the jackshaft bolt, then there's the gear that turn's the flywheel, yep that what I'm going to call it for now, and then there's this circular thingy that has splines in it that the gear goes into. I'm assuming that this is what engages the gear to start the motor. And yes, I'm aware of what assumptions do. LOL...

Well, I'm now ready to put her back together after trying to spin the starter several times it looks as though it's not getting stuck anymore....

Will resume tomorrow morning after I get home from work. Right now it's bed time...

Adios...

Quick Reply: 2006 Electra Glide Starter Issue