General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Idles fine, sputters and bogs on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 05:35 PM
peepa
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
I checked for the correct installation of the circled part, pretty sure it's correct.
There are many ways to tune a Cv carb, ususing washers under the needle is one of them.
Normally, when tuning a bike with a carb, you don't just "put in the right jet" the first timetime around. It takes a while, sometimes, to determine what jetting is correct. Please, someone correct me if I am wrong.
No, you're not wrong.
Are we hearing you right?
The bike ran fine until you filled it with gas and now you're talking adding washers and jet selection???

Good luck. I've said all I can say.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:40 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,227 Likes on 3,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
I checked for the correct installation of the circled part, pretty sure it's correct.
There are many ways to tune a Cv carb, or using washers under the needle is one of them.
Normally, when tuning a bike with a carb, you don't just "put in the right jet" the first timetime around. It takes a while, sometimes, to determine what jetting is correct. Please, someone correct me if I am wrong.
IIRC it can go in either way.. One way don't work so well.. Nothing wrong with washers or changing main jet.. One side of that jet will be thin walled. That side goes towards the venturi. De-smogging the bike, washer under the needle works well but the change is usually subtle.. A little less cold blooded and a little bit better pulling as the throttle is rolled on..

Old 09-11-2016, 06:41 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by peepa
No, you're not wrong.
Are we hearing you right?
The bike ran fine until you filled it with gas and now you're talking adding washers and jet selection???

Good luck. I've said all I can say.
The washer was in there from the beginning, before it started running bad. I removed them trying to see if it would make a difference. That's why I put it back.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:30 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Thank you for all your replies - a lot of good information was offered.

The bike is running much better. In the near future I will be upgrading the cams (Andrews 37G), new 2:1 exhaust and maybe a Killer Carb.