General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

CB Static --- XM/AM/FM related?

Old 08-31-2016, 06:09 PM
Flatfoot57
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default CB Static --- XM/AM/FM related?

There has been lots of static - snapping and snarling as I call it - when transmitting and receiving on my CB. It is so loud it's difficult to hear the voice. This just started about a month ago. It worked fine before that. I have a 2016 FLHTK with 5000 miles. Dealership installed the Sirrius/XM module, and the CB was standard equipment when I bought the bike.

I've had it at the dealership several times resulting in them changing the CB module last week. I went for a ride with my buddies and the problem was still there. I dropped it back off at the dealership Sunday.

Today, I'm told that HD tech support told the local tech to switch the radio band from XM to AM. I'm told by the local tech this switch to AM radio fixed the CB static problem. I was also told that HD tech support was aware of the problem and was working on a fix with no estimated timeline.

I'm no electronics expert by any means, but this doesn't make sense to me. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem, or can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Old 09-22-2016, 12:31 AM
Flyndutchman
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might tell them to put a shunt or coil on the power wire to the XM power wire. Sounds like something is unshielded. I am a Ham radio operator It doesn't take to much to create static. The power wire maybe to close to other the computer or other electrical component and be picking up the static. Does it change with engine rpm? have them unhoke the power to the XM and see if it goes away. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:27 PM
Flatfoot57
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Finally got the problem fixed! After changing the CB and the Boom radio made no difference, I suggested a simple test - change the antenna!! That did it, problem resolved. What a frustrating experience. Thanks to all for your help!