General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Does CONSTANT Downshifting Damage the Spline Hub?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:03 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts
Default Does CONSTANT Downshifting Damage the Spline Hub?

Facts:
1) I bought my last 4 bikes brand new and downshift DAILY.

2) All bikes went over 100K.

3) Only with my 2nd bike, the spline "rounded off" inside the spline hub so I lost all ability to go forward and was towed of course.

Note:
Now that my present bike is crossing 80,000 miles I am getting concerned I am once again going to lose my spline hub and have to be towed.

Yet it only happened once with the last 4 bikes.

Question:
Since it only happened once in 4 bikes, was that just a "1 off", an odd thing that happened. Or is it likely to happen again?

Thank you in advance for your opinion.

BuzzCap7

Old 12-06-2016, 08:57 AM
Ridewright Wheels
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Using the engine to slow any gasoline powered machine is often destructive in many ways. It generally adds driveline stresses on the weaker side of the powertrain, contributes to increased oil consumption and offers almost no benefits except for the fun noise it makes.

The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 10:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I've been riding almost 50 years and well over half a million miles, always downshift and have never had that problem. If you do it smoothly that failure ain't your fault!

BuzzCap7 (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 11:21 AM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

Downshifting is something I have used on every vehicle I have ever owned/driven, including semi-trucks, army trucks, delivery trucks, cars, vans, motorcycles, etc. I have never had an issue with downshifting, and it is taught and encouraged in some professional/military driving training.

If the spline is rounding off, it's from using it, not necessary from downshifting. I've read a lot of complaints about the spline rounding off, and I have no doubts about that happening, although I have never had it happen to me.

Keep on truckin' brother.

The following 2 users liked this post by crazytown:
BuzzCap7 (12-06-2016), tar_snake (12-07-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewright Wheels
Using the engine to slow any gasoline powered machine is often destructive in many ways. It generally adds driveline stresses on the weaker side of the powertrain, contributes to increased oil consumption and offers almost no benefits except for the fun noise it makes.
That is ridiculous.

The benefit of downshifting when slowing down, in addition to helping decelerate the bike, is that you will be in the correct gear for the speed you are going, and can accelerate easily if needed.

It does not harm the driveline or engine.

Some people never learn to do it properly, you can tell because when they slow down, they don`t match the RPM, they just drop down into the next lower gear and you will hear their rear tire chirp, or they just pull in the clutch and come to a stop, then start stomping on the gear lever to get the transmission into first gear.

OP: What part are you referring to when you say "Spline Hub", and what model/year machines are you talking about?

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 12-06-2016 at 04:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
BuzzCap7 (12-06-2016), tar_snake (12-07-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 08:20 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
That is ridiculous.

The benefit of downshifting when slowing down, in addition to helping decelerate the bike, is that you will be in the correct gear for the speed you are going, and can accelerate easily if needed.

It does not harm the driveline or engine.

Some people never learn to do it properly, you can tell because when they slow down, they don`t match the RPM, they just drop down into the next lower gear and you will hear their rear tire chirp, or they just pull in the clutch and come to a stop, then start stomping on the gear lever to get the transmission into first gear.

OP: What part are you referring to when you say "Spline Hub", and what model/year machines are you talking about?
Dan, your post is my thoughts in reverse. I don't understand what "splined hub" is, I'm guessing compensator? I also agree that correct downshifting while matching rpm's to driveline speed is correct and should be practiced to perfection, with no negative mechanical issues. It should also be done in a gentle manor.

Last edited by checkers; 12-06-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:01 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC

Spline Hub is what they said and was on my invoice. I may be able to find it if you like. From the engine, what sticks out is the spline. It looks like an oblisque (tapered conical thing) with splines. Splines being grooves.

(I am not mechanically inclined so pls bear with me.) What THAT piece goes into the HD service guys called it the Spline Hub. That turns the gears which turn the chain or belt to drive the rear wheel. Did I say it right? That make sense? I can draw a picture or see if I can fine the invoive.

It was a 2009 Ultra Classic.

Does that help?

BuzzCap7

Old 12-07-2016, 05:34 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,233 Likes on 3,613 Posts

It's a problem with the 06-up dyna 07-up baggers/softails.. I suspect it's mainly poor spline fit and the fact that they moved the primary drive sprocket out on the clutch (swapped position of starter ring gear and sprocket). If the fit is loose, they get uneven pressure and eventually shear. Tight fit helps..

BuzzCap7 (12-08-2016)