General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Ran into a problem need help plz

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 06:57 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Thumbs up Ran into a problem need help plz

Ok so its winter here in crappy NJ, well today was 55 and humid, I store my bike in a garage on a bike lift, strapped, but I only lay a large drop cloth over her? now will a bonafide bike cover help with this problem, today I went into there to do some winter work I have lined up, pulled off the cover, WATER from the humidity I assume was dripping all off my chrome engine, rims you name it, I immediately started her up, let the natural heat help w engine, so I don't make it ten times harder to detail, so I have a rocker as you see, any recommendations on a cover, and what do you think of 2 boxes with tops off of moth ***** for water humidity control? will my bike smell like grandpa's underwear drawer from moth *****, or is this a good idea, I need a solid, winter, storage game plan obviously. thanks in advance..

Old 01-12-2017, 07:01 PM
Mikes145
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

I wouldn't use a drop cloth. Get a cover or use an old sheet. I would get a fan to circulate the air also.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:52 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

saw some nice tight bike covers...

Old 01-12-2017, 08:07 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

I got an inexpensive dust cover from Ebay for my bike - granted I'm here in Colorado where it's a lot dryer than NJ (Born and raised in Passaic County, mover here in 2000) - but you want a nylon type one that breaths

Old 01-12-2017, 08:15 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,907 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Your problem is your cover is trapping air, so when the outside air gets hotter, the cold bike is making condensation. Like a glass of ice water in the summer. If you're expecting sharp temp swings, remove the cover or use a bed sheet.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:13 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Remove humidity from garage.
If water is dripping, then humidity level is very high and there is a lack of venting in that garage.
Why do you have that much water in the air? no venting?
That much water is an invitation for mold.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:27 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I'm in NJ also. Temps today in my area were up to 70*. When I opened the garage to go out in the car it didn't take more than 5 minutes for the condensation to build on everything in the garage. I turned a fan on and left the door open until inside and outside temperatures were balanced. The bike was completely dry. I'll leave the fan on for a couple of days though.

I use a light cotton tablecloth to cover my bike during winter. I also put a bucket of 'Damp Rid' under the bike. You can get it at Home Depot.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:43 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

There is no type of cover that will prevent this. It has nothing to do with the cover.

When it's cold in the garage, everything in the garage is cold. The bike is cold.

Then, when the outside temp warms up and the outside air gets inside the garage, the warmer, more humid air hits the cool bike, and moisture from the outside air condenses on the bike.

If it snows where you live, and you pull the snow covered car into the garage, and the garage is above freezing, the snow melts off the car and the humidity level in the garage jumps. As long as it's still cold, no problem. But, when it warms up, the air warms up faster than tons of metal. Now the air is warmer than the bike, the bike is cooler than the air, and all that humidity condenses.

Best bet, when it starts to warm up just open the garage and run a fan. You want to get the inside of the garage up to the same temp as the warmer outside air, which will cause the bike to warm up, which will reduce the condensation.

Keep in mind, though, it's only water. Won't hurt anything unless you leave it wet for days. Put a fan on it, wipe it down, you'll be fine.

Summer's coming!

Old 01-15-2017, 11:52 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

i keep a 100 watt droplight laying on the floor just to the right ,under the bike. kinda under the engine. it's just enough heat to drive away moisture. been doing this for years and seems to work well. i also shine the bike up several times during the winter months. i'll be riding it later this week, highs of 60.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:40 AM
13RoadKing
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Silicon "wax" can possibly prevent condensation, not sure if you should use it on engine.

Quick Reply: Ran into a problem need help plz