General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

How much oil in engine??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 06:56 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts
Default How much oil in engine??

Got a question about how much oil to run in the engine crankcase. 2014 SGS with 120R engine.

At my motor's 5000 mile service the dealership tech asked me how much oil I wanted put in the engine. He explained that the MoCo several years ago started advising to run 1/2 quart less oil in the engine to fix a problem (I don't remember what he said the problem was...).

He said he would fill the crankcase with how ever much oil I want. Either to factory-recommended level or the older 1/2 quart more.

I told him to put in the extra 1/2 quart. It's now at above full level.

My engine has the SE +1.5 quart oil pan. Don't think that makes any difference but anyway...

Any advice on the topic is appreciated.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:05 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

No oil in the crankcase Harleys are dry sump motors. If your pan takes an extra 1.5 then put an extra 1.0 in and see how it does.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:10 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

I don't have the specifics on the SGS with the +1.5 quart pan but I know on my 103" I don't worry about the hot check; only the cold oil level check. I want it no more than 3.5 hash marks on the stick; exactly half way on the stick. When I do an engine oil change that's just under 2 quarts for my bike.

Run the oil too high and you can start to have carryover problems. Check your stick when the bike is cold; half way on the stick, no more. That's the correct level, 88, 103, or a 120 engine...

Edit: do they have a different oil stick for the +1.5 quart pan? I have no clue on that. hummm...

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 01-15-2017 at 07:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sierra977 (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 07:10 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

If the level is too high, the excess will be blown out the breather.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:13 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

On a oil and filter change. Hit it with a three quarts. Start it up and when the oil light goes off, turn it off and let it set a few. Guess your's say, check on stand. Now top it to middle of stick. Next time, it's blistering hot. Top it off to top of stick mark. It will be fine till next oil change.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:51 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
I don't have the specifics on the SGS with the +1.5 quart pan but I know on my 103" I don't worry about the hot check; only the cold oil level check. I want it no more than 3.5 hash marks on the stick; exactly half way on the stick. When I do an engine oil change that's just under 2 quarts for my bike.

Run the oil too high and you can start to have carryover problems. Check your stick when the bike is cold; half way on the stick, no more. That's the correct level, 88, 103, or a 120 engine...

Edit: do they have a different oil stick for the +1.5 quart pan? I have no clue on that. hummm...
My thinking was the extra 1/2 quart would improve cooling but after more thought I'm not so sure.

Don't know the answer about oil dipstick being different for the +1.5 quart oil pan. It was there when I had the motor built new at the dealer. The oil stick is the one with oil temperature indicator. Now it reads "Oil Level High" and that has my attention.

Breather lines are re-routed to a drip can.

I may drain off the extra oil and take it down as you recommend.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:01 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
My thinking was the extra 1/2 quart would improve cooling but after more thought I'm not so sure.

Don't know the answer about oil dipstick being different for the +1.5 quart oil pan. It was there when I had the motor built new at the dealer. The oil stick is the one with oil temperature indicator. Now it reads "Oil Level High" and that has my attention.

Breather lines are re-routed to a drip can.

I may drain off the extra oil and take it down as you recommend.
I wasn't sure after I posted if you'd have a different oil stick with the +1.5 quart pan but no matter, check it cold. Half way on the hash marks on the stick on a cold check. HD really needs to do something about those oil sticks, those markings they use make no sense at all, but running more than half way on a cold check will lead to oil carryover in to the breathers; and that's most likely what your wrench was talking about...

Old 01-17-2017, 04:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

There is no difference IMHO in servicing your 120R from what the owners manual says for your stock bike. Having owned bikes for half a century I always fill to the half mark, then run the engine for a while and top up if required - then take a decent run out (helps if it's a nice day!) and finally check and top up when back home.

Ignore the quantity thing, fill to the dipstick - don't just pour in umpteen bottles of oil. Any quantities given in the manuals are simply a guide, in other words have at least that much to hand when refilling. All three holes have clear and unambiguous guidelines in the books on the correct level for us to fill up to. That way if you have a bigger oil tank the quantity required will obviously be more, but the level on the dip-stick is unchanged. Simples!

Old 01-17-2017, 11:29 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
There is no difference IMHO in servicing your 120R from what the owners manual says for your stock bike. Having owned bikes for half a century I always fill to the half mark, then run the engine for a while and top up if required - then take a decent run out (helps if it's a nice day!) and finally check and top up when back home.

Ignore the quantity thing, fill to the dipstick - don't just pour in umpteen bottles of oil. Any quantities given in the manuals are simply a guide, in other words have at least that much to hand when refilling. All three holes have clear and unambiguous guidelines in the books on the correct level for us to fill up to. That way if you have a bigger oil tank the quantity required will obviously be more, but the level on the dip-stick is unchanged. Simples!
I agree with this. My concern is more to do with the SE +1.5 quart oil pan the the engine it's bolted to.

Pulled half-quart of oil out of the oil bag this morning with evacuation pump. Plan to ride one day this week, get engine up to temp and check oil level.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:07 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

fill low and run until hot, then top off until you are two dots down on the stick. running until hot will bring the oil level up on the stick so you can get a good level reading.

The following users liked this post:
Sierra977 (01-17-2017)

Quick Reply: How much oil in engine??