Handlebars - Harley Davidson Forums

General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Handlebars

P

Old 02-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Default Handlebars

I know this is probably another post that has been covered a bunch of times but I am looking to put some new bars on my electra glide standard(2006). I want something that is going to put my hands just above the fairing. I like the Z bars but there is so many options available on the market that my head is spinning. Looking for some pics of bike with taller bars that put your hands just above the fairing. Also what else do I need to get this job done, clutch cable brake etc etc. Thanks in advance
Old 02-17-2017, 11:03 AM

I have never done the mod you are looking to do, but have done a lot of research as I'm looking to make a change as well. From what I read if your bars are under a 14inch rise you won't need to extend the wires. With that said many people say they go with a shorter rise because of that. Than they regret that choice. Go sit on your bike and hold your hands were you want them to be and then measure them out. If possible go to a dealer and hold a few and see what you like. There are several posts on this subject right now in the touring forum if you want to go do some reading. Good luck with it. Later
Ozzy
Old 02-17-2017, 11:15 AM
Road Master

I have been wanting to do this for a long time but I am not willing to buy and install $1000 worth of parts to find out it isn't right and do it all over.

My local dealer has a street glide with Twin Peaks 10" bars on it. I sat on it. Perfect wrist angle for me, I just need to go with 12" instead. As ozzy said, go to a dealer and see what they have on the floor that you can sit on, hands on is really the only way to know.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:17 PM
Senior Rider

It's a fairly easy mod. Time consuming, but easy. Find the height you want and get after it. I recommend soldering and adhesive lined shrink wrap for wire extensions. Just my personal preference as I trust it a lot more than the connectors that can pull apart inside the bars. Make sure to stagger the connections so there's not a big bundle in one spot

P