General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Speedometer transfer possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 10:39 AM
WSNuke
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Speedometer transfer possible?

Hello HD Forums!! New member here. I've been a long time biker but finally bought my first Harley, a '13 Dyna Switchback. I found a guy that is selling a 5" speedo but needed to ask a knowledgeable person if I can buy it. He says he's heard different things, but we aren't sure if the speedo is locked to the ECU of his bike. He has found out that there are 2 different versions of this speedo, an "old version" and a "new version" and he says this is the old version that he thinks can be taken from one bike to another. Can anyone confirm whether or not I can buy this speedo and put it on my bike? I have included pictures of the actual speedo in question. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Speedometer transfer possible?-speedo-front.jpg   Speedometer transfer possible?-speedo-back.jpg  
Old 02-27-2017, 02:25 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

I bought that same speedometer new. After 50 or so miles it became locked to the bike. You may ask the seller to borrow it and make sure it works out for you but I don't believe it will. Maybe the manufacturer can unlock it , probably for a fee. I really don't know.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:40 PM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

In order to prevent odometer fraud, and allow the module to communicate with the vehicle's engine management system, there is a password learn procedure the dealer performs. You would typically order this at the dealer, they would validate your vehicle's current mileage and have that mileage put into the speedo, prior to sending it to the dealer. Can't give you any guidance if it is aftermarket, but H-D follows Federal law on odometer issues, to the nuts. The consequences of not doing so are very harsh.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:00 AM
Aogmitch
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ranchodeluxe
In order to prevent odometer fraud, and allow the module to communicate with the vehicle's engine management system, there is a password learn procedure the dealer performs. You would typically order this at the dealer, they would validate your vehicle's current mileage and have that mileage put into the speedo, prior to sending it to the dealer. Can't give you any guidance if it is aftermarket, but H-D follows Federal law on odometer issues, to the nuts. The consequences of not doing so are very harsh.
May be true for older bikes, but newer bikes have the odometer miles stored in the ECM. I put that same speedometer in my 2012. Plugged it in, turn on power, and correct mileage was displayed.
Gozzie is correct though, and at 31.1 miles (50km), the speedo is forever married to that bike. If installed on another bike after its locked, it will only display "vin error" in the digital display.

Last edited by Aogmitch; 03-01-2017 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:27 AM
WSNuke
6th Gear

So there's no difference between the "new style" and the "old style" that he was talking about?

Old 03-01-2017, 07:07 AM
Aogmitch
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by WSNuke
So there's no difference between the "new style" and the "old style" that he was talking about?
Not that I see. Looked at the instructions for that part number, and it shows same thing. Vin locked at 31.1 miles.

The following users liked this post:
WSNuke (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 02:37 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain

You may try and contact a dealer to see if there is a reprogram. Phone calls are free.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:52 PM
WSNuke
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Gozzie
You may try and contact a dealer to see if there is a reprogram. Phone calls are free.
I often worry that I will get a "less than truthful" answer from a dealer that would rather sell me a $300 speedometer than perform a $50 reprogram.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:28 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain

I understand that. Kinda sorry most of us feel that way nowadays

Old 03-02-2017, 10:16 AM
13RoadKing
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Parts guy said that he ordered speedometers with programmed mileage already. Maybe it was procedure for earlier speedometers. He didn't specify years.

Quick Reply: Speedometer transfer possible?