General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

What tool removes this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 10:59 PM
nweb992000
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All good to know. I think I'll replace it with a standard allen bolt.
It seems odd ball to me to have a 12pt star that small.

Thanks all who responded, I'll finish it this weekend.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:05 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Think about it a second what's half the points on a 12 point fastener ? Torx's are 6 point so they will catch 6 slots on a 12pt bolt, in a pinch it will do just fine if the sizes are close.

I've hammered a torx socket onto a rounded off 12pt more that a few times , whatever gets it done you know.
.....If you look at what is sometimes called a banjo socket, which I think is an socket for a external torix. I think anyway, since the ones I have are labeled like a torix with numbers. However, for some reason, people call them banjo.. However, never seen a banjo look like that on the tuner that you turn but somewhat like what is turned by the worm wheel, and I assumed they were referring to brake lines..Got me.

However you are correct. It is 6. So if you actually OVER THINK for the correct answer instead of for a second what pops into your head, the tool needs to be an even number that is twice the count of the fastener. Not the other way. Never ever tell someone to to hammer a tool on a perfectly good fastener that does not know any better.

That way, you don't need a hammer in the first place or surely cause the next time you work on something requiring a bigger hammer...

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-18-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:10 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

on softails i've welded a nut over the bolt and sent out for chrome. lifetime fix.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:29 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,828 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
.....If you look at what is sometimes called a banjo socket, which I think is an socket for a external torix. I think anyway, since the ones I have are labeled like a torix with numbers. However, for some reason, people call them banjo.. However, never seen a banjo look like that on the tuner that you turn but somewhat like what is turned by the worm wheel, and I assumed they were referring to brake lines..Got me.

However you are correct. It is 6. So if you actually OVER THINK for the correct answer instead of for a second what pops into your head, the tool needs to be an even number that is twice the count of the fastener. Not the other way. Never ever tell someone to to hammer a tool on a perfectly good fastener that does not know any better.

That way, you don't need a hammer in the first place or surely cause the next time you work on something requiring a bigger hammer...
I wouldn't, my comment was implied you can use an unrelated shaped socket on an already rounded off or damaged fastener head as an impromptu remover tool. It's always best to use the correct tool for the job but unfortunately I've had to follow up far too many who haven't.

Maybe a bit of clarification was needed there for the slow crew.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

I wouldn't, my comment was implied you can use an unrelated shaped socket on an already rounded off or damaged fastener head as an impromptu remover tool. It's always best to use the correct tool for the job but unfortunately I've had to follow up far too many who haven't.

Just consider yourself spanked by mommy and know she still loves you...

Old 03-18-2017, 12:37 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Home Depot sells 12 point sockets...they call them "Universal Sockets".

Old 03-18-2017, 01:22 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,828 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Just consider yourself spanked by mommy and know she still loves you...
Only if mommy is wearing black latex and 6" CFM heels

Old 03-18-2017, 09:26 PM
nweb992000
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the bolts out. I got the socket at Sears, Harbor Frieght didtn't have it
(or even knew what I was talking about). Can't really replace this with a standard allen bolt, this thing is specific. Thanks for all the good input....I learned a lot on this
adventure. Was able to straighten out a lot of problems on this bike, mostly from
crappy aftermarket upgrades that were there when I bought it. Great bike, tho.
Thanks all.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:35 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Glad you got it worked out. There is a little learning curve on these things. That 12 point 1/4 drive is not common except in higher end tools. It needs to be quality steel to hold up. Little of Harbor Freight stuff is that but some of their tools will work in home garage.

Your bolt head was item 10 pad pin. Some of the learning curve is called out in the service manual where it usually calls out the bolt spec for the head and some times on just fasteners the thread diameter and pitch or left-hand threads.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:55 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,997 Likes on 2,815 Posts

I got it. All I had to do was actually READ your post!

Quick Reply: What tool removes this?