General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Paint protection

Old 03-26-2017, 10:19 AM
Blacklimited
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Paint protection

It's almost time to ride by me and this is my first year with a bagger. Want to know what to use to get the best look and protection of the black paint. I always used meguiars on my black heritage and like the look but didn't have all the paint I do now with the fairing and saddlebags. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-26-2017, 03:20 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

I personally don't see a problem using the same wax on both bikes. I have a black Springer and I use the same wax that you use and have done so since I bought her new in '05. One thing I found that works great is I also wipe off the wax with a micro fiber cloth and it sure does make a great shine without getting any small scratches or swirls that some other rags will get. Just as a side note, some of my friends that have baggers talked me into experimenting with what they use and it seems to work pretty good, it's called Lucas Slick Mist, it takes less time than actually waxing and seems to work great for me so far.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:23 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Tagging on here, got my first black bike late in the year, so a wax up is order before start of the season.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:48 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 762 Posts

I detail cars for a side gig. I do mostly paint corrections, compound then polish. First and foremost, black is a full time job!
My bike is vivid black and I have experimented with a lot of LSPs on it. This black is by far the softest paint I have ever dealt with hands down.
First up I tried my $200 jar of Fuzion wax. It is a beauty wax and looked incredible after polishing it out. However, in Florida, it is a dust magnet just like any wax.
Next up, I used a sealant. Much better than the wax with the dust. The paint still marred very easily.
Next up 22PLE. Hands down the winner!! Not a dust magnet at all, dirt doesn't stick to it, hell nothing sticks to it. I have used this many times on the cars and trucks I have done. Absolutely amazing what the characteristics of a coating are.
Here is my opinion on owning vivid black paint.
1. The less you touch it the better. Really goes for any color
2. Use high quality products that touch the paint. Stay away from the cheap microfibers. Use the high quality ones. Many brands out there and Im not here to pimp any of them.
3. Use a electric leaf blower to dry. Use a microfiber drying towel to pat dry the last of it.

There is no magic LSPs out there, period. Perfect paint comes from perfect polishing, not from a wax, sealant or coating. The LSP can enhance the look and protect the paint to a degree.

There are a lot of great products out there. Research and use what you like

Old 03-26-2017, 09:18 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,325 Likes on 10,701 Posts

A friend of mine who is a major, major bike not his entire life suggested I use ACE IT. That is what he uses. Click HERE.

In the 11 years I have been riding, I have found nothing to beat it. It is absolutely fantastic!

Be real careful not to spray it on your saddle. You can literally slide right off. I sort of found that out the hard way.

I swear by that stuff. Lasts quite a long time to it seems.

BuzzCap7

Old 03-27-2017, 06:25 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,997 Likes on 2,815 Posts

WTF is an LSP?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:58 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hey Man
WTF is an LSP?
Last Step Product = Wax, sealant, coating

Old 05-03-2017, 09:37 PM
cigardave007
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I love Liquid Glass. Results and longevity is awesome. May try CG's jet seal next time.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:03 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

Jet Seal is terrible. So many better products out there for the same amount of money. Backfire Wet Diamond, 4Star. Opti-Seal

The following users liked this post:
cigardave007 (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 08:09 AM
cigardave007
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
Jet Seal is terrible. So many better products out there for the same amount of money. Backfire Wet Diamond, 4Star. Opti-Seal
thanks, Which is your first choice??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint protection