General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Bike Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 03:04 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts
Default Bike Insurance

I was wondering about bike insurance. I have been told that auto insurance companies should be avoided when buying bike insurance. Could anyone give me some ideas of good insurance companies that specialize in bike insurance? Does the Harley dealer have insurance for what he sells or does he have the ability to recommend someone? I can figure out how much my bike will cost when and if I can buy it, but the insurance costs are a loose end that I want to look into.

p.s. If it will help, I live in Oregon

Old 01-25-2005, 04:07 AM
Pirate
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bike Insurance

The Harley Dealer Can set you up with Insurance. They do it through Harley Davidson Insurance (Foremost Insurance on the backend). The people I've talked to all said it was good insurance, and the price was not really too bad. The dealer can get you a quote within about 15 mintues. There's also a discount for taking the MSF course.

Tim

Old 01-25-2005, 05:07 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Try Progressive...

There was a post a on this a while back...as I recall, Progressive seemed to be the Insurance of choice.

Mac

Old 01-25-2005, 05:29 AM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I called progressive last week and WOW they were high! Geico has quoted me the best coverage to price ratio so far. Bikeline was the cheapest but that was for a bare bones policy. Geico was next to cheapest with a little more coverage.
FYI Progressive has been the highest of the 5 Ive called.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:36 AM
02fatboy66
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I beleive I got a good deal on mine 442.00/yr.
This covers towing, 3500.00 in accessories.
Actual cash value of Bike when a accident occurs.
The cheapest I could find.But I went through my auto ins. company getting multiple car discounts.
They actually did the policy through Farmers Mutual Ins. out of Michigan I beleive.
This is in Tx. Riding all year long.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This subject was discussed in a earlier thread and if I'm not mistaken, Progressive was a top runner along with others that insured their bike along with their combined multi-car/trailor/home owners insurance.

Geico is bare bones coverage. [:'(]

Old 01-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive been using Dairyland, (the co. that HD uses) for about 4yrs now. They have been easy to deal with, have what I feel to be good coverage with both the bike and accessories. Towing is included. I am 30 and my rate is $440 a year on my RK. I added my wife with a 883, and since she has no prior experience it cost me an additional $500 a year on her. This rate should come down with the completion of a safety course (%10), and with keeping the rubber side down. I havent found anyone else to come close with the premiums.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:15 AM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ironhead

This subject was discussed in a earlier thread and if I'm not mistaken, Progressive was a top runner along with others that insured their bike along with their combined multi-car/trailor/home owners insurance.

Geico is bare bones coverage. [:'(]

Progressive quoted me almost triple what geico did for the same coverage with only one exception. They roadside is included at no charge for all HDs. Yeah RIGHT no charge! When they charge triple what the other guy is youre paying for it.
Progressive was 1300+ per yr. Geico was 570. Geico isnt bare bones unless ya ask for bare bones.

Old 01-25-2005, 03:02 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Something else that we quickly discovered in the other post was this:

The longer you are with a company, the cheaper the rates get over time, the harder it is to find cheaper, and the better off you are staying with that company.

I'm with USAA, I pay $400 a year I think, (not at home where the bills are), and noone else would touch me at that price.

Here's the link to the other thread:

Insurance thread

Mac

Old 01-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A individuals driving record (or lack there of), muti-car/trailor/home discounts and even a persons credit record plays into the calculation as well. [8D]

Quick Reply: Bike Insurance